Hello from Maine!

JenEric Farms

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I've been on BYC since 2007, just started getting into gardening the last 2 years...So far, I'm better at chickens! :D

This year, I've planted:

Chocolate Mint (My son wanted this)
Pole Beans
Tomatoes
Sweet Pumpkins (Another son request)
Strawberries
Zucchini
Cucumber

and various bulbs

I've tried OKRA like a trillion times, I'm originally from TN and it took NOTHING to grow it there. Apparently OKRA hates Maine...Any tips on growing it would be REALLY appreciated!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG, JenEric :frow!

I bet I wouldn't be able to grow okra either ;).

Steve

JenEric Farms

Leafing Out
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Welcome to TEG, JenEric :frow!

I bet I wouldn't be able to grow okra either ;).

Steve
I've yet to find fresh Okra in these parts and I love to fry it... I say Okra up here and I either get, what the heck is that? or gross, why would you eat that?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOL, yeah, it's definitely a southern thing. My husband never heard of pickled okra until I introduced him. I found out how much I loved it when I lived in TX for a couple of years.

They do prefer warmer temps to grow, but if you can grow tomatoes or peppers, you should be able to grow okra. Start it indoors and just wait to plant it until the ground really warms up. It only needs about 60 days to maturity. Here's a link that mentions some varieties that do better up north.

:welcome !

JenEric Farms

Leafing Out
Reaction score
journey11 said:
LOL, yeah, it's definitely a southern thing. My husband never heard of pickled okra until I introduced him. I found out how much I loved it when I lived in TX for a couple of years.

They do prefer warmer temps to grow, but if you can grow tomatoes or peppers, you should be able to grow okra. Start it indoors and just wait to plant it until the ground really warms up. It only needs about 60 days to maturity. Here's a link that mentions some varieties that do better up north.

:welcome !
Just finished reading the link. Thanks so much!

AnnaK

Leafing Out
Reaction score
hi all! Another Mainiac newbie here. Just starting to try my hand at gardening now, so keep your fingers crossed for me!

Latest posts