Hello From North Florida!

Ayla_noemi

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi,

I just recently joined two of the sister sites BYC and BYH and decided this site might be a great tool to prepare me for my gardening plans. The closest thing to gardening I have ever done was put my green onions in soil so they could regrow. So I have a long way to go. We bought our home over a year ago and have planted quite a few fruit trees. We fertilized and provided vitamins upon planting but honestly that is all we have done besides instal a sprinkler system and collect fruit. I have a lot to learn. Besides learning to adequately care for these trees and bushes we wanted to plant quite a few things to attract bees because we plan on dabbling in bee keeping in the future. We would also like to build a green house in order to start an edible garden. So I will be browsing through posts whenever I get a chance and asking tons of questions. Please feel comfortable to give me pointers on what to do with my trees and bushes and where to start on my other projects. Thank you.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG! Please put your general location in your avatar. Climate has a lot to do with gardening, southerners can plant long before northerners can, as just one example. I would recommend starting with a small garden. Go to the big box store and buy already started plants. That is the easiest thing for a new gardener. Later, when you are proud of your first tomato, we'll suck you down the dark path of planting seeds...... BWA-HA-HA-BWA-HA-HA-BWA-HA-HA

You will need to break up the soil, pull out the weeds and grass. What kind of soil do you have? Sand, clay, loam?

Farmer Connie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,

I just recently joined two of the sister sites BYC and BYH and decided this site might be a great tool to prepare me for my gardening plans. The closest thing to gardening I have ever done was put my green onions in soil so they could regrow. So I have a long way to go. We bought our home over a year ago and have planted quite a few fruit trees. We fertilized and provided vitamins upon planting but honestly that is all we have done besides instal a sprinkler system and collect fruit. I have a lot to learn. Besides learning to adequately care for these trees and bushes we wanted to plant quite a few things to attract bees because we plan on dabbling in bee keeping in the future. We would also like to build a green house in order to start an edible garden. So I will be browsing through posts whenever I get a chance and asking tons of questions. Please feel comfortable to give me pointers on what to do with my trees and bushes and where to start on my other projects. Thank you.
Howdy neighbor! Spring is early for us this year.. Hot as a July afternoon today, but low humidity.. I hope you are enjoying it as much as we are.
Welcome to TEG..
welcome wagon.gif

Ayla_noemi

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG! Please put your general location in your avatar. Climate has a lot to do with gardening, southerners can plant long before northerners can, as just one example. I would recommend starting with a small garden. Go to the big box store and buy already started plants. That is the easiest thing for a new gardener. Later, when you are proud of your first tomato, we'll suck you down the dark path of planting seeds...... BWA-HA-HA-BWA-HA-HA-BWA-HA-HA

You will need to break up the soil, pull out the weeds and grass. What kind of soil do you have? Sand, clay, loam?

I am in Union County Florida 45 min west of Jacksonville, 45 min north of Gainesville and 30 min east of Lake City. We have quite a few feet of sand then it transitions to clay not very good I guess but I was thinking my best bet was for my greenhouse plants to be in containers and boxes. Thank you for pointing out the location on my profile I really didn’t think about that. Look forward to your advice.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
howdy, welcome from the sunny (not at the moment) mid-Michigan. :)

i have a southern friend who is avid gardner in similar location.

he's been using predatory nematodes to keep the root knot problems at bay and also uses some other biologic control for the grasshoppers. he seems to be pretty busy all year round with his plantings. once in a while the cold/frosts will take something out but he also has covers for protection of some garden beds.

his issues with the soil are the high alkaline level (due to it being pretty much all limestone/coral sand), but adds some acidifiers once in a while to keep his garden beds at a reasonable pH.

his other issue is the water, you folks just haven't been getting enough rains...

those are things i can think of... :) and welcome again...

Latest posts