Hello From Texas

Granny of 7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello from Texas! I am in south central Texas, just northwest of Houston.

I am a granny of 7, soon to be 9! My son and daughter-in-law are pregnant with twin boys!

I love to be outside! My favorite past times are gardening. Vegetable and herb gardening are a little new to me. I have only been doing this for about 5 years. Some seasons it is good and others not so much. I love to plant flowers. All kinds. If I have to pick a favorite it would be the passion flower. They smell so sweet.

I live on just over 2-1/2 acres. My husband and I recently decided to purchase chickens. We are currently in the process of building a coop and we will also take on a couple of my granddaughters bunnies.

I work full time and the weekends in my yard are my sanity and escape. I love it and I am always looking for new things to plant and watch grow.

I am glad I found this site and I am looking forward to learning new things and getting great advice from everyone!

Last edited:

Granny of 7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your reply! I am hopeful that I can find something. I have some Bradford Pears. They grow fairly fast and I haven't had any problems with them thus far (20 years) but I want a little variety. I have 2 Choctaw Pecans and they lose limbs all the time. I don't have them planted close to anything they can damage though.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Granny of 7! I don't know what trees grow well in Texas but Baymule I'm sure does. She'll be here eventually. Glad to have you join us. I only have 2 grandchildren and sure would like a couple more from my other 2 kids. But it doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon. :(

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Granny of 7! :frow
Great to have you join us, and we won't hold your Texanness against you. Lol
You are in good company with our Texans here, and I'm sure they'll give you a shout. :)

I'm impressed to hear that your Bradford pear is doing so well for you. You must have the gardeners touch because they are among the top trees known for brittleness. I don't know what trees do well in Texas either, but I'm sure you'll get some good advice soon. Everyone here is so helpful. :)

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Hi, Good you're here! I'd say Russian Olive, we have them here on the high desert, it can get dry here in the summer with the wind, and the wind we have here, would blow the fleas of a dog, if fleas would live here. Yep, Russian Olive~look good too.
Well, welcome Granny from Texas, stay around. We'll all talk later.

Richard

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @Granny of 7 , Welcome to The Easy Garden forum!

My Dad grew up just inside NM from El Paso. I know that this is just a hop and skip away from East Texas but then I live at a latitude north of the center of population for Canadians and can't be held accountable ;).

;) Anyway, Doña Ana County has more pecan trees than people, residents there like to tell the world. Those trees aren't around up here but lend quite a bit of shady distinction to Dad's olde stomping grounds. As for TEG expertise, I know that we have already been instructed on the Texan pronunciation although sharing that probably won't be of any help. I just want to acknowledge the pecan's impressive shade in a hot part of the country.

Steve

Granny of 7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am pretty sure I got my green thumb from my grandmother. She could pinch off a piece of plant, stick it in the ground, and before you knew it that thing was growing! Most of the time I have really good luck with plants. Trees are a bit of a challenge for me because of the climate here. I have tried apples and failed. Citrus seems to do well. I purchased a Mexican Lime tree on discount from a local nursery that was going out of business a couple of years ago. It was sickly looking when I brought it home. It has taken a while, but this spring it really is starting to shape up and look healthy.

Latest posts