Hello from The Arizona Desert

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hello, I am in Tucson Arizona, I love gardening!! Though it is not what you would consider a "profitable" thing to do here in the Sonoran Desert.

I like to pretend I am on Prince Edward Island or the English Countyside.

My front yard is a cottage garden. This photo is from last summer, it is a Sunflower arch with Morning Glories growing up it, it was about 7ft tall. (The sunflower heads were long gone!)
Sept302007Archemail.jpg

In my backyard I do modified Square foot gardening.
This was last year. I will have to take some new photos. I recently put in a flagstone path to the potting shed. Things are still not filled in like they will be later in the summer. But these photos give you a bit of an idea of my gardens
Here is the Tree Stump that I can't seem to remove!
TreeFacewithVineHairemail.jpg

My Scarecrow and her "time out" baby.
Scarecrowemail.jpg

The gate to the potting shed. Yes, that is an old pallet! I am a recycler, or trash picker whichever you prefer. My potting shed is under a huge pine tree, it has no roof, it is built of old pallets and I have an old desk and a couple of shelving units to keep my stuff somewhat organized.
PottingshedGateSeptemail.jpg

My "greenhouses" that my wonderful Design Engineer husband built for me.
Greenhouse200601email.jpg

I share my garden with Spartacus, the Cane Corso (Italian Mastiff) and Zoop the Desert Tortoise.

PlayingwithSpartacustouchup02email.jpg

Spartacus is a huge beastie, that is not quite 5 ft fence he is looking over.

StandingonFence70106email.jpg

I hope to make lots of nice gardening friends here!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Very pretty! I love your cottage arch. I too have a stump in my backyard that I don't have the energy to dig up. I like what you did with yours - very cute idea! Welcome!

Nichole77

Sprout
Reaction score
Thank you for the pics. I am in the Valley. The sun and chickens would eat a garden alive. I want one and am working on it. Your pics are a great help.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow, that is really something!

Looks very good and very NOT in the Arizona desert! I spent a summer outside of Yuma as a kid and can attest to the heat!

Congrats!

elnabelms

Leafing Out
Reaction score
What a beautiful garden! I'm in Cottonwood, in central AZ. Since the city took over our water system, water is pretty expensive and I've had to adjust my gardening a lot, so now it's more arid landscaping for me. I insist on having a vegetable garden still, but it's 1/3 the size I used to have. Oh well, it's just me and my hubby, so we don't need as much. I love Tucson, it has such a great personality!

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Awsome garden! I bet you can probobly sit there all day. It's like a garden wonderland! lol

By the way, I'm in Yuma. :)

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hello. Nice to meet ya. I am VERY familiar with the weather in the Glendale area as both of my parents grew up there. Is the heat pretty much the same in Tucson? I cannot abide the heat. If it gets over 80 F outside I start wilting, literally. I guess you are aclimated to it. I think your water bill must be out of this world, with everything being so green there. I love your garden shed idea. I once took an old 6-drawer, cedar-lined dresser, lined one top drawer inside with a plastic shower curtain and cut a whole in the top of the dresser over the drawer. I then removed all of the rest of the drawers and placed boards in as shelves to hold my extra pots and hung my trowels and such from hooks on the end of the dresser, making my own personally designed potting bench. I kept the potting soil in the lined drawer just below the open hole in the top. I covered this hole with the lid to a rubbermaid tote. I used the removed drawers to plant strawberries in. As you can tell, I was pretty proud of myself and still am.

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In Tucson, since its been raining a lot, The water bill isn't too high. Here in Yuma, sometimes its just not worth watering the plants and have to let some go. But thats only in the summer, in the winter, Its perfect weather!

Latest posts