Hello! I'm new here!

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:welcome:frow Hello Pretty Plant.

I'm a disaster with my garden at the moment but thank goodness I have the people here so hope to get things going this year. :)

Enjoy the site

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum :frow. New Mexico is a western state with some geographical differences. Might you be in the mountainous northern part of the state?

This was my last year garden! The amaranth comes up every year, and the lamb's quarter is practically a weed, but I don't pull it up because it also tastes good
I will also want to see a useful variety of amaranth in my garden each year. They can grow and reseed in a robust way, however, so I try to be the one who harvests the seed and limits the area where they grow. If you do a TEG search, you will see that I have been trying different varieties through recent years.

Lambs quarters IS a weed. However, like you, I appreciate its tasty usefulness. Have you tried orach? I once had a variety of this sister to lambs quarters that seemed just about right for my earliest greens from the garden. I could leave one or two volunteers in an out of the way place each year to reseed. If the seedlings showed up where they would interfere with my gardening, they could be moved. They made wonderful spring salads.

No longer having that garden, it turns out that there are many species of orach, some are North American natives. I still haven't found what I had as volunteers from seed I purchased, maybe 20 years ago - where, I don't remember. Oh well, maybe I can get it sorted out ;). Good Luck with your 2021 garden. Remember, we would like to learn all about what you are up to on a regular basis :).

Steve

Latest posts