Help ID-ing this weed!

spainkid

Sprout
Reaction score
I've got this nasty weed in my back yard, and it's got these thick horizontal roots that are almost an inch in diameter at certain points.
So, 2 things

1) Can anyone ID it?
2) What's the best way of killing it?

I've been uprooting it as much as I can, but I'm starting to think that just cutting off the plant from the root might do.

These are the links to some pictures. You should be able to copy it into the URL bar as is, but if not, add h t t p : / / (without spaces) before them!

Thanks everyone!

cl.ly/3j3H2i3A092e2x1K3M1D
cl.ly/3n3c1L320W2k3O3d1x0b

spainkid

Sprout
Reaction score
digitS' said:
For some reason, I was just able to just highlight the url, right click on the mouse, and click "open" and it came right up.

Could it be this weed that the Southern Gardener is also battling in her yard?

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=31335

Steve
Kind of like it when it's fully grown, but the roots are massive compared to that one. I'm talking like branches off a tree.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are there any trees nearby that could be sending up root suckers?

Tell us where you are, Spainkid. You can see on that other thread that the northerners had some problem helping Southern Gardener with an ID, there in Louisiana.

Here is Spainkid's weed, folks. I haven't a clue:

weed.jpg

Steve

edited for 2nd picture:
weed2.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have lots of "trees" that do that- kind of scrub stuff. Also, Sumac grows like that. I have seen roots stretch for 50 feet and shoot up a grouping like that. Just about impossible to get rid of, I am afraid....

spainkid

Sprout
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Are there any trees nearby that could be sending up root suckers?

Tell us where you are, Spainkid. You can see on that other thread that the northerners had some problem helping Southern Gardener with an ID, there in Louisiana.

Here is Spainkid's weed, folks. I haven't a clue:

Steve
As my name indicates, I'm in Spain, near Madrid.

Keep in mind the pictures show the weed AFTER being mowed.

Yes, there is one tree nearby, and I'm beginning to think that's where the weeds are originating from.
Would finding the root root and snapping it off solve my problem?

Here's a picture of the yard.
DSC00778.jpg

The weeds ONLY occur at the right side of the lawn, which is bizarre. There's a network of roots running underneath it.

DSC00691.jpg

This is a closeup of the tree in question.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Poplar?

They are known for root suckering and mowing would give them that stunted look. Perhaps, a very sharp spade would solve this problem.

Welcome to you there in sunny Spain! Lovely view!

Steve

spainkid

Sprout
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Poplar?

They are known for root suckering and mowing would give them that stunted look. Perhaps, a very sharp spade would solve this problem.

Welcome to you there in sunny Spain! Lovely view!

Steve
T'is indeed poplar. Populus alba, in fact. I'm assuming the network must all be interconnected and must branch off to the tree at one point.
Would a sharp spade at the root kill off the seedlings, or do I need to uproot the whole network?

Also, how likely is it that it would regrow after being chopped off at the root?

Thanks Steve! Hope your day is going fantastically!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Spainkid :frow
Cutting the root with a shovel will slow down the suckering, but unfortunately it's a permanent problem. Tearing the root up seems to be a better solution as far as slowing down the next wave of suckers, but it can kind of make a mess of your lawn. Tearing as opposed to a clean cut seems to be the key to making it harder for new suckers to emerge
You can also spray the suckers with an herbicide and in my experience with that method it has not harmed the parent tree.
I wish you well in your de-suckering solution!
Pretty setting you have there too!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You might want to use a small paint brush for the herbicide - if you go that route.

Take your pruners out on the lawn and clip/paint, clip/paint, clip/paint . . . . Follow directions but choose the most concentrated recommendation on the label.

And, wear appropriate gloves, please. I am so amazed that people are willing to spray biocides with bare hands :/. I bet 4 out of 5 people I see spraying weeds are not wearing gloves!

Here is wishing you the best of luck!

Steve