Help! Need a recipe & jarring advice for scrumpanog / muscadine grapes

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My neighbor just brought me a HUGE bag of muscadine and scrumpanog mixed grapes... YUMMY! (I drink the Hatteras and Baldhead wines like a FIEND!) :D

I am dying for a jelly/perserves recipe for them so I can enjoy some over the winter.

Now, I have NEVER jarred anything in my life, so I don't know what to do?

But I'm free for the day and I want to get these babies freshy jarred ASAP, there are too many and I don't want to waste any.

(For some reason, I have 6 brand new mason jars so might as well use them....)

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I use Sure-Jell for all my jams, jellies and preserves. If you buy the box, each one comes with instructions for whatever fruit you are using. Their recipes haven't let me down yet. ;)

katz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Maby that neighbor would give you some grape vine trimmings and you could plant them and have your own grapes ! :)

You can just juice them out like it says on the sure jell package (boiling water & grapes) and then freeze the juice for making jam later or making grape juice or Homemade Wine !

Starting the cuttings to grow !

http://www.eewinerycoop.com/docs/growinggrapes.pdf

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I found a decent recent, they came out pretty yummy actually. I was just disappointed I only got 1 1/2 jars out of it. My daughter and I did kill that 1/2 jar already though. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice, and I am thinking of getting a trimming from it to see if I can get a vine started here. Shouldn't I wait until spring for some fresh growth?

Latest posts