Help! Newly planted tree wilting a bit

Andrew

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hi all,

A few weeks ago we had a new maple put in. The maple is about 20ft high, the trunk about 3 inches across.

When put in, it had a watering ring installed, which, I've just found out, didn't work very well. Looks like it went maybe 3 days without watering.

At first, it had a few wilty leaves along the bottom; it seemed to recover OK. I refilled the ring and it seemed to be perking up.

We went away for a few days, and though it rained at least once (downpour) while we were away, the ring hadn't drained, though it had let out water to the point it couldn't reach the drip tubes.

We came back to find that there were now brown leaves on the bottom, and here and there a few more, and is quite droopy at the bottom but overall looks OK.

I replaced the drip ring with a hose on VERY low flow, and put it on for about an hour. I'll continue to do that until I find out whatever I'm supposed to be doing...

I do still see new growth that wasn't there about 5 days ago, and I don't see any leaves that have dropped.

So... not sure what to do. I may be overreacting & realize it may be transplant shock.... I'm attaching some pics (reasonably high res) for anyone who knows about trees & has guidance or suggestions!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andrew

Attachments

• IMG_4234.JPG
    IMG_4234.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_4233.JPG
    IMG_4233.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 559

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
A new tree that big needs a lot of water. I would let the hose drizzle on it 24 hours a day for a few days. Move it around the tree so the whole root ball benefits.
It's going to take awhile for it to get enough new roots established in the soil to support a big canopy.

You should make sure that soil doesn't dry out. Not a swamp, but if the top 2 inches are dry get some water on it.

It sounds as though it's not doing too badly if it has new growth already. :)

Andrew

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks! This certainly helps put my mind at ease. Is a drip hose preferable?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Its already bought and planted so the plan now is to help it thrive. Assuming the installation was done well, it should be fine, just don't stress it more by letting it get dry, but don't drown it either.
Was it balled and burlapped Andrew?

Latest posts