HELP! The rabbits are eating my garden...

gumpsgirl

Leafing Out
Reaction score
We found 3 of them out there this morning eating away. I started out with 25 Sunflower plants and am down to 5. :/ They also have been eating my corn, peas, green beans, and tomatoe plants. What can I do to keep them out of the garden? I have a mini dachshund, which is supposed to BE a rabbit dog, and that's not helping. Is there something I can spray or put out that will keep them out of my garden?

gumpsgirl

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thank you patandchickens. I just went out to the garden and I already had a rabbit out there. I told my dog to get it and she chased it into the woods. It probably will be back tonight though. :/

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Blood meal sprinkled around the garden will repel them. So will garlic/onion sprays.

Commercially available coyote or fox urine will also do the trick.

Human hair.

Supposedly aloe vera gel but have never tried it.

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Am I gonna make myself sound stupid asking this?

Would playing a radio on talk radio all night scare them away? (out there close by where they could hear it, obviously)

Cassandra

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
Am I gonna make myself sound stupid asking this?

Would playing a radio on talk radio all night scare them away? (out there close by where they could hear it, obviously)

Cassandra
I've heard of people using this effectively for rabbits and raccoons but have never tried it. I would think it would work for a while but they would eventually find out that it posed no threat to them because of lack of movement.

Farmer Kitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have a neighbor who swears by jars filled with water set around the perimeter of the garden. Something about the reflection with the water.

Or you could try planting marigolds.

Some people also plant 3 inches of lettuce around their garden on the theroy that by the time the rabbits get through that they are to full to bother the garden.

My garden is now fenced but, before I had to do that the marigolds worked and they still keep the deer out.

Latest posts