IMG_1449.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1450.jpg
    IMG_1450.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 171

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I get spots like those occasionally on my tomatoes when I've hardened them off a bit quickly, especially on the oldest leaves which tend to take longer to adjust to the outdoors than the newer foliage. There is a faint colouring of anthocyanin in the leaves too, which is (often) a stress response in tomatoes too. I think they'll be fine, they just need to spend more time outdoors. The outdoor developing foliage will probably overtake these leaves and do better than the leaves grown indoors. How long did it take to harden them off?

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I get spots like those occasionally on my tomatoes when I've hardened them off a bit quickly, especially on the oldest leaves which tend to take longer to adjust to the outdoors than the newer foliage. There is a faint colouring of anthocyanin in the leaves too, which is (often) a stress response in tomatoes too. I think they'll be fine, they just need to spend more time outdoors. The outdoor developing foliage will probably overtake these leaves and do better than the leaves grown indoors. How long did it take to harden them off?
I hope that what it is.

The plants were out on the deck for two weeks with partial sun but they didnt get full day sun before transplanting.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
they didnt get full day sun before transplanting.
I think this is the key @Cosmo spring garden, and also the reason for the antho colouring. Two factors of shock for the plant, the transplating and then the full sun on the leaves all day at the same time. The antho is a protective response to the sun. Still, I don't think you need to worry. That is a really mild version of all-day sun transplant shock. They'll be fine. I've had this happen a few times to my tomatoes. The new leaves will be better adapted.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Are those spots some sort of deposits on the leaves or are they where the green part of the leaf has been eaten? To me it looks like something may be eating the green part.
It looks like something has eaten it because that part of the leaf is translucent. We disnt see any obvious bugs a great anywhere on the plants.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I checked my tomato plants today, just out of curiosity because this was a year that I hardened them off quicker than usual, about 7 days. I found a few with leaves like this
20210528_132801_resized.jpg

20210528_132610_resized.jpg

I also planted them only two days after I had had them in full sun. But the new growth is doing fine -
20210528_132640_resized.jpg

Latest posts