Help With Plumbing On Fountain

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Having hard time with phone and photos please bare with me. I bought a plastic performed pond on CL. It is a couple hundred gallons with a drain on side. Owner grew waterlilies in it, I am using as a base for fountain. Problem is piping was glued into drain. I assumed I could just buy a cap since end is threaded. No where could I find a cap that fit. My thought is to cut off end piece so just normal pvc pipe glue cap on that. Is that the best way to go ? should I bite the bullet and call a plumber ? My phone took video instead of photos going to try and post them Will not post I get message does not have allowed extention

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
upload_2018-5-1_9-29-24.png

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
That looks like the previous owner glued on a part of a sprinkler system control valve.
Since there s a section of PVC pipe between it and the plastic pond... cut off that part with a hack saw, then you can glue on a coupler onto the PVC pipe nipple, and then any other piping or shut off valve that you need to drain the pond whenever you have a need to do it. If you glue on a cap, you would defeat the purpose of a drain. Good luck :cool:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Having hard time with phone and photos please bare with me. I bought a plastic performed pond on CL. It is a couple hundred gallons with a drain on side. Owner grew waterlilies in it, I am using as a base for fountain. Problem is piping was glued into drain. I assumed I could just buy a cap since end is threaded. No where could I find a cap that fit. My thought is to cut off end piece so just normal pvc pipe glue cap on that. Is that the best way to go ? should I bite the bullet and call a plumber ? My phone took video instead of photos going to try and post them Will not post I get message does not have allowed extention
PLUMBER

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOL Bob made it sound EZ but I agree Plumber.

Yes, NYboy... it is as EZ as sticking your thumb into a pie and pull out a plum ... all you need is a hack saw to cut off the end of that little pine, then buy some PVC glue, a pvc sleeve, a shut off valve and glue them in place. Total cost less than $15 and 15 minutes of your time. Plumber will charge $75 + for trip charge, then 2x $$$ for parts , PLUS his charge $$$ for labor. Hey, even your nephew can do it much cheaper. :frow

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband and I are do--it-yourselfers. When we were young and stupid we decided to fix a drip in the kitchen sink. What transpired can only be described and a Lucie and Desi moment. Being an old house, there was not water shutoff under the sink. Did we know where the stuff was in the cellar? No. My husband assessed the situation and decided he could just take off the handle and put in a new washer because the water came out in the middle. Of course the drip turned into a geyser. My husband was yelling to run in the cellar and look for a shut-off valve. Again-young and stupid. I was laughing so hard I was incapacitated. He got the valve back on and the drip was now a steady stream. He was math teacher and had each kid fill out a card about themselves and their family. And yes, one of the Dads was a plumber, came right over, and was our plumber until he retired. He did laugh at us wholeheartedly. The kicker was, it was a state of the art "waterless faucet." So instead of a .50 washer it took a 5.00 valve. That was 40 years ago so that's around 20.00 now.. So no plumbing DIY for us.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am not very handy, yet friends are surprised at number of tools I own. Well used to own many followed my nephew home never to return.

Latest posts