Hen With Prolapsed Vent

schmije

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Tonight I discovered that one of my pullets has a prolapsed vent. She had an egg caught in the tissue, which took quite a bit of working to free it. Then we tried to push the tissue back in, but she kept pushing it back out. She's now isolated in a dog crate to give her a chance to recover. She was surprisingly calm during the whole procedure. I did some research on BYC about this condition, and it sounds like the best treatment is to keep her clean and dry, apply Preparation H, and keep trying to push it back in. I will pick up some Preparation H for her tomorrow. Hopefully we won't have to cull her, but we will if it becomes necessary.

Have any of you dealt with this? I read about applying honey to the vent. What does this do? I can try it, but I don't really understand the purpose.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know honey is a good antiseptic, and have heard of it being used to treat bedsores with amazing results. Maybe it helps to shrink the tissues, or calm the swelling? I bet one of the beeks on here would have the answer for you. Hope she recovers okay.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Honey, or a concentrated solution of sugar water, draws the liquid out of the tissue, reducing the swelling and hopefully allowing the vent to stay where it belongs. It should stay on for a long time, uh...maybe, half hour or more? It might take several (many) tries of applying it, rinsing it off and attempting to reinsert the vent. I have no idea how you could help hold the vent in place if you get it back in...i've only used this procedure on a prolapsed anus on a dog and prolapsed vulva on a cat...and in both instances the vet i worked for stitched the openings (pursestring) to keep them in place...but also allowed a small opening for defecation, for a short time, maybe a day? I have not much experience with chickens, it is VERY tricky to get those things back in...may take several hands and lots of lube. Good luck.

Latest posts