Herb and flowers for 2013

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I ordered my seeds for the herb garden - I have to start several in the greenhouse along with all my tomato plants and peppers - I don't think my greenhouse will be big enough! Here is what I'm planting this year:

Borage
Salad Burnet
Dill
Cilantro Slo-Bolt
Bloody Dock (Red Sorrel)
Marshmallow
"Ball's Improved Orange
Calendula"
Korean Hyssop
Anise Hyssop
Pistou Basil
Herb Yarrow
Sweet Basil
Horehound
Bergamot
Ferverfew
Chives
Lemon Basil
Balloon flower
Wild Bergamot
Betony
Borage, Bianca
Epazote
Joe Pye Weed
Laceflower
Lovage
Mallow, Common
Nigella
Winter Savory
Tansy
White Yarrow Larkspur
Vitex
Texas Star Hibiscus
Purple Cone flower
Daisy - Double gold
Rudbeckia Goldstrum
Marigolds
Alstromeria
Red Yarrow

several will be direct sown, thank goodness!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some of those will be as easy as can be, and won't need to be in a greenhouse, and some real difficult.

I tried to grow the Marshmallow in something like 2004 and none sprouted. Let me know how they grow and start for you.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a list!! Your bees are going to be busy! A word of warning on the feverfew...it will take over the world, if you let it. I bought a small clump at a garage sale- it is now in every garden I have.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah, ditto what Lesa said about the feverfew! :D I admired a bouquet an elderly gardener had put together and she asked if I would like some starts....I didn't deadhead the blooms and the next year I had a feverfew jungle!

But I love them, they bloom early and long and I just pull them out of areas where they aren't needed. They look really sweet with shasta daisies.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thistle, I have Panorama Red (monarda didyma) and a wild bergamont. Well, I'm hoping it will be beautiful - I still have a lot of work to do. Lesa, I'm hoping I'll be able to keep my bees home by planting all of this! Thanks for the warning on feverfew!

Marshall, which ones will be "real difficult?"

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hyssop can have slow, low and erratic germination
Same with Betony
joe pye starts from roots real easily, don't know about from seed
nigella won't transplant. strangest roots. plant out where they will live

Those are the ones i know. some on your list i never tried.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is a wonderful list! I have some of the things you have on the list, but of all the flowers and herbs I have if I could only keep one thing it would be bee balm. I bought a plant and it was just a clump for a couple of years and got very tall, so last spring I dug it up and planted clumps all over the place. I have it in the front of the house, the back of the house, in with the herbs, out by the garden. I also started some red from seeds and have a few of those growing, but the smell last year was the most wonderful smell I ever smelled. Even my husband noticed when we sat out at night how our yard smelled. Here is a picture of some by the driveway and I have coneflowers transplanted all over the place too.

9494_24_coneflowers_and_bee_balm.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rabbits, what a pretty garden! Love all that purple! The funny thing I noticed about my bee balm- is that I never see my honeybees on it. It seems to attract only bumble bees....

Latest posts