Herb that grow well in clay soil?

TheArcane

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Mixing compost into the soil to try to make it less dense seems to be the way to go. I struggle with the same thick clay soil you're describing. While I have mixed in compost and better quality soil to improve it, my thyme, lemon balm, and lavender seem to be doing quite well in it.

Herbian

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thank you everybody! I put some peat moss in the hole before I planted and will make sure to add compost/organic matter this fall. :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Herbian sometimes it seems that plants that we stick in the ground, give no special attention to, grow like mad and produce in abundance. Then the prized plant that we baby, hover over like a helicopter, feed, water, check the temperature and otherwise make a nuisance of ourselves, that prized plant...........dies. :idunno

Herbian

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Funny isn't it? My lavender (Favorite plant/scent/oil ever) always dies no matter where I put it but most any other thing I plant is fine. :hu

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Herbian sometimes it seems that plants that we stick in the ground, give no special attention to, grow like mad and produce in abundance. Then the prized plant that we baby, hover over like a helicopter, feed, water, check the temperature and otherwise make a nuisance of ourselves, that prized plant...........dies. :idunno
Red's Rules for the Garden: #2 The likelihood of a plant surviving and flourishing is directly correlated to time and expense. The more it costs and the more work and worry you expend the greater chance it will not survive.

Latest posts