~* HERBS for HEALTH & HEALING, plus TASTY RECIPES of course * ~

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

All my adult life I have used a lot of herbs in my cooking. I learnt to appreciate the difference they made in the taste of my food from various cookery book writers like ***Elizabeth David, Margaret Costa & Jane Grigson.....all great cooks who wrote in such a way that you just had to try out each & every one of their recipes. They all used many more herbs than I had ever heard of being used in my family's cooking.....!!! :rolleyes:

***[edited to add that these 3 writers were the UK's equivalent to your Julia Child at the time]

Later, as my career got under-way I was lucky to travel the world pursuing it & in the process trying the specialities of those areas, both in restaurants & in private homes. All the time I was collecting recipes & learning to use herbs in various ways.

Now, as I near my 70th birthday in June I have become more conscious of just how important they are in keeping us healthy. Strangely this morning I found this email had arrived in my in-box -- I urge you to read it as I think it explains many things in a very concise & readable way:

http://www.herbcompanion.com/health...=Newsletter&utm_source=iPost&utm_medium=email

May we all live a long & healthy life so we can work in & enjoy our gardens for longer.......!! GROW & USE MORE HERBS.....!!! :weee

:weight Hattie :weight

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you Hattie, I love the Herb Companion, and I'm thinking of starting to get a few issues. They sell it at the Tractor Supply Co in town.

I just took out a book from the library on herbs too that I'm loving. Its been very helpful teaching me the anatomy of each herb and its uses! Culinary, cosmetic and otherwise.

It also is full of recipes from food, to cosmetics and essential oils as well. :D I am only taking it back to the library today, so I can take it right back out! LOL :lol:

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks so much Hattie!! ;)

Yes i definitely think herbs are important for a healthy long life. I myself have two great books on herbs and have helped me better understand herbs, i'll have to see who the author is.

Grow herbs their good for you!! :thumbsup

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Planning on putting in an herb garden this year. Tranplanted Dani Basil yesterday then planted some Genovese. I need to get a site started so I can decide how much room I need. I want a Medicinal/Kitchen Herb garden.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HunkieDorie23 said:
Planning on putting in an herb garden this year. Tranplanted Dani Basil yesterday then planted some Genovese. I need to get a site started so I can decide how much room I need. I want a Medicinal/Kitchen Herb garden.
:frow :frow

Good Luck to you HD. I am sure it will give you years of pleasure & good health....!! I find the longer I live & the more I read; the more there is to explore & learn. It keeps me on my toes.....!! :D

:ep Hattie :ep

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have two great books on herbs, one is "Essential Guide to Growing and Cooking with Herbs" by Katherine K. Schlosser and the other is "Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs" by Claire Kowalchik & William H. Hylton.
Anyone have these books?

Latest posts