Herbs & Seasonings!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@LocoYokel wants to add to her herb/medicinal plants collection. @The Happy Hen has used her brief thyme on TEG to start an interesting thread on time ... or, vice versa ...

;) Here's a question: what can we add to vary a similar selection of garden vegetables to change their flavor orientation? Here's what I mean, how are different ethnic dishes seasoned?

I'll steal some ideas almost whole cloth to see what you think of them.
  • East Asian: soy sauce, ginger, lemon grass, Thai basil, cilantro, hot pepper
  • South Asian: curry powder, cumin, turmeric, mustard, coriander, black pepper, hot pepper
  • Latin American: hot pepper, cilantro, oregano
  • Italian: basil, oregano, marjoram, thyme, sage, bay leaf
Onion and garlic, probably shallots could go with each. I'd like to include tomato with each but that might be stretching the definitions. What do you think about these lists??? Additions Subtractions?

Steve

The Happy Hen

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
@LocoYokel wants to add to her herb/medicinal plants collection. @The Happy Hen has used her brief thyme on TEG to start an interesting thread on time ... or, vice versa ...

;) Here's a question: what can we add to vary a similar selection of garden vegetables to change their flavor orientation? Here's what I mean, how are different ethnic dishes seasoned?

I'll steal some ideas almost whole cloth to see what you think of them.
  • East Asian: soy sauce, ginger, lemon grass, Thai basil, cilantro, hot pepper
  • South Asian: curry powder, cumin, turmeric, mustard, coriander, black pepper, hot pepper
  • Latin American: hot pepper, cilantro, oregano
  • Italian: basil, oregano, marjoram, thyme, sage, bay leaf
Onion and garlic, probably shallots could go with each. I'd like to include tomato with each but that might be stretching the definitions. What do you think about these lists??? Additions Subtractions?

Steve

Ha ha, yes vise versa! :lol:
Thank you for mentioning me!

~Kaitlyn

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been experimenting with Greek yogurt the last year.

Using Greek yogurt as a dipping sauce for fresh veggies should be next. Dill could have a role there. I don't suppose that it would allow me to put it in a "Greek" column.

I can't think of what to do with dill other than as a salad dressing ingredient or on baked potatoes or fish. With fish - dill's most common job here. It happily volunteers in the garden.

Steve

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Can see I'm gonna havta start cookin' more...

I saute zucchini chunks with dill, the mild flavor of the summer squash really lets the herb flavor thru. Think I will have to throw some green onion in there with it next time.
Lemon thyme or lemon balm is another way to add some zing to zucchini.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't think there is anything else I like dill in....except maybe some soups and stews. In the squash, I use two or 3 tablespoons. I started out sauteing it in butter, then switched to bacon grease. Either or.....the oil doesn't matter as much as the dill. Oh, any onion will do. When I made it at home, I had to fight the kids for it to get any. :drool

Latest posts