Here we go again...

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more.

Spring has sprung and I've finally gotten all my boxes cleaned out and ready to go. It has been a lousy winter and early spring down here in the South. We are still getting frost and more is expected later this week. I am so over winter. There was no way I could put in my early crops like lettuce, cabbage and other cool weather plants. They'd just be killed.

But, you know how it is. Hope springs eternal as they say so off we go one more time...Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more...

Last edited:

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know how you feel,NC just won't make up her mind on this whole weather thing. It is going to be in the 80s today and by Thursday nearly freezing at night:(

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are counting on you for inspiration here on TEG, Jim.

Here's hoping that the frost doesn't trip up you and your neighbors.

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
This never-ending winter does leave us with a bit of confusion, doesn't it? I am not sure now what I can get away with planting, even things that are supposed to go out right now. Tomorrow night they are calling for snow and a low of 26. My peach tree is blooming...so that's a goner.

ETA: A blood moon and snow in April, all in one night...now that is a little foreboding, lol. o_O

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I’m staring t that dilemma. Can I put things out now or should I wait? Our low is also forecast for the mid-20’s tonight so I’ll be putting some sheets over a few things this afternoon. I’m leaving to see my granddaughter over Easter and would like to get a few things in the ground before I leave.

Our average last freeze is April 15, tomorrow. The ten day forecast doesn’t show any freezing temperatures after that. I know as long as Thistle and Red hold on to their snow pack they can send me down some cold weather at any time, but dare I hope I finally get an average year? Last year was two weeks late. The year before was three weeks early.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
ETA: A blood moon and snow in April, all in one night...now that is a little foreboding, lol. o_O
And I hear that purple pigs are going to fly around the moon too! :barnieSpace aliens. It is all the work of space aliens. :lol: Maybe they'd lighten up on us for some fresh veggies! :gig

Gheesh! Winter is a PITA this year. 73* this morning, will be 37* tonight and 34* tomorrow night. :rant

Any good photographers out there that can get a good shot of the moon?

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi Jim, welcome back! :frow

@baymule - if I can drag my butt out of bed at midnight I'm going to try and get some pics! Can't believe you're having that low of temps again!!!

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If I can hang I will. I'll probably have to find a good show, and watch every episode, or do a movie marathon to stay up though.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
. . . Our average last freeze is April 15, tomorrow. The ten day forecast doesn’t show any freezing temperatures after that. I know as long as Thistle and Red hold on to their snow pack they can send me down some cold weather at any time, but dare I hope I finally get an average year?

Not sure about Thistle, but I resent that remark -- sort of. I'll have you know that despite a day of snow in south-est, central-est Wisconsin that failed to gain so much as foothold on the yard, garden, or concrete; I am snow (pack) free and have been for at least a week (or two?) Any cold that "gets sent down" isn't coming from Thistle or me, but from our friends in Canada. That means every time you get a blast of cold, we've gotten it first and worst.

According to one of my fave garden books, April 15 is the first day I should (am able?) to plant in the garden. To go in are peas, carrots, and other cold weather crops. Once tonight's cold passes (28º) we will be back closer to "normal" and planting just might be possible.

Another 'tip' given by Great Grandmother Minta is that potatoes are to be planted on Good Friday. According to my book, potatoes can go into the ground here in south-est, central-est Wisconsin on April 15. Barring a full day of rain, I'm going to keep her garden tradition and get at least a few spuds in the ground then even if no peas got planted March 17th.

It is dreary outside here, but I've been planning my planting, ordering a few perennials, and opening my envelope from Baker Creek. All is good!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad you are ready to give it a go, JimW! After this crazy winter, I am really hoping for a wonderful summer...

Latest posts