Hey Mary, catalog shopping!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It says "any order" - free shipping!
Black Friday thru the weekend.

https://www.harrisseeds.com

Harris has quite a few things in the supplies section and the deal might also be true with their new "Garden Trends" website.

Tomatofest has its 2019 sales up for over 650 (!) heirlooms. It's the most they have ever listed, Tomatofest says. LINK

They don't have free shipping but that outfit might be close enough for a visit from @ninnymary on one of her tours of the California wine country ;).

Steve

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I have found out that once I went seed crazy and signed up to I don't know how many places that eventually they have free shipping. And not only once but quite often. They must have heard about me not liking to pay shipping for a packet of seeds, haha.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What do you think is the best tool for the gardener to have:

• in the garden
  • under the ςђгเรՇ๓คร tree!
  • in the kitchen
doesn't have to be fuchsia

:) Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
F7F6087A-F000-47DC-8E90-BDF628518D40.jpeg 23ACD8F6-FA45-48EA-9774-DFCC32684F3E.jpeg Steve, these are photo boxes that were recommended by an amazing gardener. I just LOVE them. They were a little pricey 2 for $39 on amazon. Best thing to have your seeds all organized.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I carry catalogs around and have done so since my teens ... might have been the only kid doing that in town.

And yet, adapting to the internet age has been fun. Unlike this cold, foggy morning here with snow outside my window, there are colorful pictures. I can adjust size and how bright! Click .. Click .. Click

Tomato Growers from 2017 could have been included with the tinsel. The outfit changed hands and didn't have a 2018 catalog. I'm pleased to see that there will be one for 2019 (http://www.tomatogrowers.com)!

An R.H. Shumway's catalog didn't show up in my mailbox for a number of years. It's not as though I didn't buy plenty of things from its parent company Jung's, I did! It was, perhaps, because there were no orders going directly to Shumway's. Back again in 2018, it was not much for colorful, although the outside, glossy pages has color drawings. The center pages take me right back to the 1960's ...

I didn't appreciate the "out of stock" stickers on the webpage seed potato companies photos. I was looking for @aftermidnight 's Ozette fingerlings. Fedco potato pages has nice photos and "will not ship anywhere until April" notice! That's good enough for me :). By the way, whoever has taken over writing Fedco info does a good job at appealing to the garden obsessed ... ♪ ♫

Steve

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I carry catalogs around and have done so since my teens ... might have been the only kid doing that in town.

And yet, adapting to the internet age has been fun. Unlike this cold, foggy morning here with snow outside my window, there are colorful pictures. I can adjust size and how bright! Click .. Click .. Click

Tomato Growers from 2017 could have been included with the tinsel. The outfit changed hands and didn't have a 2018 catalog. I'm pleased to see that there will be one for 2019 (http://www.tomatogrowers.com)!

An R.H. Shumway's catalog didn't show up in my mailbox for a number of years. It's not as though I didn't buy plenty of things from its parent company Jung's, I did! It was, perhaps, because there were no orders going directly to Shumway's. Back again in 2018, it was not much for colorful, although the outside, glossy pages has color drawings. The center pages take me right back to the 1960's ...

I didn't appreciate the "out of stock" stickers on the webpage seed potato companies photos. I was looking for @aftermidnight 's Ozette fingerlings. Fedco potato pages has nice photos and "will not ship anywhere until April" notice! That's good enough for me :). By the way, whoever has taken over writing Fedco info does a good job at appealing to the garden obsessed ... ♪ ♫

Steve

Just a heads up the Ozette fingerlings aren't anything special as to taste but you know how I'm into growing heirlooms :). For me they were a late potato.

Annette

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, Annette. I might still get them for 2019 but I am into gardening success! Altho, I don't like large corporations controlling so much of everything ...

Taste is something that takes me some time to determine and I will work around the margins trying to learn something. It's like growing golden beets. I was curious but I really like young beets (even if DW doesn't like the juices messing up her plates :rolleyes:.) After trying a few varieties of golden, I stayed committed to the reds. (And yet, I won't grow Bull's Blood. It wasn't nearly as productive as some (and the name offends me o_O, ha ha!)

Okay, being quirky certainly is characteristic of those who hang out in the garden :D. Heirlooms tug at my emotions. Sometimes -- their traits are really special.

Steve
Has had seed company relationships that go back over 50 years. Strangely, there are some hybrids that have passed a 50 year threshold that some use to identify heirlooms!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey Steve, Bull's Blood offends me too! haha. Although it's supposed to be resistant to leaf miner I find that it's not for me. I'm hoping I can eventually grow beets despite that larvae critter. I have about 3 Bull's Blood beets that I sprayed with Captain Jack and so far so good! It says to spray both top and bottom of leaves but lazy me I only sprayed the top. Maybe I'm on to something. Let's hope so.

As far as having a 50 year relationship with a seed company, heck I don't even have that long of one with my husband! :rolleyes:

Mary

Latest posts