Hi from Wyoming

rodeogirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hey glad to be here with you all. I'm a 22 year old single mother with a 3 year old son. Good thing my baby boy loves to help mom in the garden bad thing most of the produce never makes it in to the house.

For the past 2 years my garden space has been 2 planters that are about a foot wide by 6 feet long. So not much space, I have mostly been relying on my mom's surplus from her garden. But she sold her house so this was my last year of using her garden. Which means I need to step up my gardening game for next year.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are great enablers! We are delighted to have you here and will be glad to help you. Ask any questions you that you have, we are happy to help gardeners. Welcome, you will like it here.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome. Can I assume another "horse person"? One precautionary note, the southerners like to taunt with their beautiful gardens while we are still enjoying winter.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome, @rodeogirl :).

I knew some neighbors who moved to Wyoming about 3 years ago. They are now in Worland.

Before they left, I had been doing a little research on Wyoming climate. They actually moved to the community I thought might be most similar to where they were moving from. But, I didn't tell them that.

I was afraid I was Wrong. And, I'm still not sure ...

I once knew a Wyoming gardener. I'm trying to remember the tomato variety she said she grew every year. Galina! That's it. It was originally from Russia. There are opportunities in some places for lots of garden-variety choices.

Parts of Wyoming has a most challenging climate. I know it's not the entire picture of a very large state but some places have the possibility of frost during any summer month. Wikipedia tells us that the average elevation (if Wyoming could be ironed out flat ;)) is 6,700 feet.

Worland is just over 4,000 feet. The temperature here (500+ miles north) is right at freezing this morning. The Worland temperature is 7°f.

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My 3 grandsons helped me in the garden since they could walk. However "Help" is a bit of an over exaggeration. Keep him with you and he will learn so much. My boys go to preschool and school and talk incessantly about Grandma's garden. When the middle one turned 4 he wanted to have a birthday party in the garden so all of his friends could experience the joy of digging planting and picking vegetables. He did not understand that they may not like to do work at a party. They are 3, 6 and 9 right now. And boy do they love to dig holes. It is not very productive but they will always remember the pure joy of planting and growing. They all love to eat vegetable, many of them raw in the garden. As you expand your own garden make it a little bigger every year. When plants are big they can live with a few weeds. Do not worry if you cannot keep up. I use a Mantis tiller to keep the weeds at bay. At great investment. There are small tillers in many brands. I find mine last about 10 years.