HI new member

IrishRose

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Well this is my first time on any garden site. I started to grow some of our own veg in our back garden last year which was pretty pleasing but took the decision to do this not just because of the growing cost in shops but also because of my health issues. Surprised to say growing our own veg without pesticides was rewarding and started to fell better myself, now my husband and kids have actually started to take a big interest to and a pleasing help. Unfortunately this year due to continues rain throughout the start of this year we are finding alot have started late or not at all.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome, @IrishRose! I'm guessing you are South of the Mason-Dixon line with your reference to "continues to rain". I'm happy to make your acquaintance here on the best garden group, hands down.

It is a good thing to start on the small side with a garden while your learn from your mistakes and build upon your successes. Smart girl!

Let us know approximately where you are gardening -- state and zone are good -- and a bit about any special challenges so others knowledgable about your conditions can help.

I look forward to photos of your veggies, your garden helpers and just photo in general. We LOVE Pictures here!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh my, IrishRose!

That's a lovely, cool setting for your avatar.

You probably realize that a great many of the immigrants to the US were from Ireland. I have just been searching for my own Irish ancestors ... I found them all the way back to 1784, on American soil ... probably trying to grow roses :).

Welcome to TEG!

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi there, Irishrose! I don't think we have had a member from Ireland before, except Sumi, who is a staff member.
I would think you are somewhat limited in what you can grow there. But greens should do fine. We sure have had some strange weather the past few years, all over the world. We just try to adapt and figure out ways around the changing climate.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
hello from north carolina irishrose, dont let a little rain stop you... theres a few of us here that have had their fair share of rain this season.....

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome. What zone are you? Should be interesting to read about your challenges/successes.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:welcome, I garden north of the border on Vancouver Island, I can relate to the rain, same here. After last year having the hottest temps and the driest summer, this year it's lots of rain and cooler temps. Although most things are growing and producing it looks like we're not going to get the bumper crop of tomatoes we've had the last few summers. Looking forward to hearing about your garden.
I actually grow an heirloom pole bean from Ireland 'Irish Conners' a really nice green snap bean. This is the history I have on them.
"Ken Conners was born in Ireland in 1898. His family immigrated to Boston, Massachusetts in 1900, and then again moved to New Brunswick, Canada in 1907. They made their way out west and settled in the Vancouver, BC area. The family is still around, but in the interior of BC now, where they run an antique store and still to this day grow these beans that followed them around their journey in North America."

Annette

Last edited:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oops! You're from the lovely land of the Leprachan! Getting lots of rain there as well? Flooding has been causing quite the stir for some of our members or their relatives.

Meeting gardeners from Ireland and all around the world is one of the major good things about this site. That's even better than you being "one of those Southerners".

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome IrishRose. I've never been to Ireland but my daughter was there last year and she said I would have loved it. The farms she stayed at had beautiful gardens.

Mary

Latest posts