Hi Tammy here. So glad I found this group. New to Texas and it’s my first time gardening in humidity. From New Mexico where it’s hot and dry.

TJOHLSSON

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Welcome, I’m in the Tyler ,Texas area, what is your general location? @flowerbug is right about the heat and humidity. Go easy and hug your air conditioner in the heat of the day. LOL
You guys are so sweet. I’m worried about my plants and your worried about me. I’m in Splendora. Thanks!

TJOHLSSON

Leafing Out
Reaction score
9179AD57-C58C-4B55-AC93-26402F0029CB.jpeg
Ok help please. Found this in my straw bale garden. No bugs in it. It’s the consistency of wet flour. Fungus? TYI

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
So nothing to worry about, right?

if you have any green and growing plants coming out of the straw bales you may need to make some air space around the stalks to prevent the mold from doing damage. up here where i am i can sometimes have white mold damage bean plants if i've interplanted and had old beans that are dying back get overgrown by beans that last longer and then the dying back beans can get white mold on them which will infect and damage the green stems of the bean plants.

so it is going to depend upon what you have going on there and if your plants can resist the mold or not. to be sure, give the plants some air space around the stems is my suggestion.

i've not done straw bale gardening so i'm not sure what you've got going on there. :)

that said, i'd be surprised if some plants like squash would be harmed since they've been known to do ok growing in compost heaps.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi gardeners! Any suggestions on gardening in humidity would be appreciated!
I’ve planted most of the herbs, peppers, tomatoes, watermelon, squash, bok choy, cucumbers, strawberries and last but not least, sunflowers.
Hello :welcome

Looking forward to reading all the posts on the subjects you've mention. Enjoy this friendly informative site :)

TJOHLSSON

Leafing Out
Reaction score
if you have any green and growing plants coming out of the straw bales you may need to make some air space around the stalks to prevent the mold from doing damage. up here where i am i can sometimes have white mold damage bean plants if i've interplanted and had old beans that are dying back get overgrown by beans that last longer and then the dying back beans can get white mold on them which will infect and damage the green stems of the bean plants.

so it is going to depend upon what you have going on there and if your plants can resist the mold or not. to be sure, give the plants some air space around the stems is my suggestion.

i've not done straw bale gardening so i'm not sure what you've got going on there. :)

that said, i'd be surprised if some plants like squash would be harmed since they've been known to do ok growing in compost heaps.
Thank you!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Splendora

it's going to work better if you can edit your profile and put it in the Location field, something more general like Eastern TX, Zone 9 is going to be a lot more useful than the name of a town that we'd have to look up. :)

to edit your profile click on your name (at the upper right if you're using a bigger screen device - i'm not sure where it is for phone peoples) and fill in the Location field.

Latest posts