Hi there

Ralph Gilbert

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am from Toronto, a passionate gardener, have a huge kitchen garden where I grow carrots, radish, cauliflower which I mostly use for cooking our meals. Would be interested in knowing plants and shrubs that I can grow especially productive ones. Thank you and hoping to meet you all.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, glad you joined us. Grab an appropriate beverage, pull up a chair, put your feet up, and make yourself to home.

My climate is a bit different from yours so I can't make many good suggestions but there are people on here that can. We enjoy photos, what area do you have to work with?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am from Toronto, a passionate gardener, have a huge kitchen garden where I grow carrots, radish, cauliflower which I mostly use for cooking our meals. Would be interested in knowing plants and shrubs that I can grow especially productive ones. Thank you and hoping to meet you all.

welcome to TEG (from mid-Michigan), our climates are probably pretty similar, except delayed by about 6-10hrs. :)

as for specific plants, i really like beans, all sorts of beans, and also like peas. it really depends upon how much space and sunlight you have as for what i can suggest. i mean i love strawberries, blueberries, peaches, rhubarb, cherries, etc. i would easily replace the whole yard here with strawberries and blueberries if i could get away with it, let alone everything else. :)

oh, yes, i do ramble on... :)

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
And coffee ~ do they have coffee in Michigan ~ why do they call it Michigan ~ was that an Indian chiefs name ~ or ~ yeh Beans are nice ~ once you get to know them ~ there's a dish called " Full " yeh Full ~ made with Fava Beans ~ for breakfast usually ~ wonderful tasting ~ served hot ~ you put Olive oil and lemon juice on it ~ man is it good ```

Oh, good morning Ralph, do they have coffee up there ~ I've been drinking decalf lately ~ that way I can drink it any time of day ~ with Biscotti ~ that is my latest bake ~ I second flowerbugs suggestion Beans can be grown all along the north end of the garden on a trellis (not taking any sun from the rest of the garden ~ you see what I'm saying/we're saying ```

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
I was visiting a long lost friend in Arizona ~ couple days only ~ they have a cherry growing in their forest planted round the ranch house that is a bush ~ prolific and very different than any I've tasted ~ just thought I'd mention ```

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
And coffee ~ do they have coffee in Michigan ~ why do they call it Michigan ~ was that an Indian chiefs name ~ or ~ yeh Beans are nice ~ once you get to know them ~ there's a dish called " Full " yeh Full ~ made with Fava Beans ~ for breakfast usually ~ wonderful tasting ~ served hot ~ you put Olive oil and lemon juice on it ~ man is it good ```

Oh, good morning Ralph, do they have coffee up there ~ I've been drinking decalf lately ~ that way I can drink it any time of day ~ with Biscotti ~ that is my latest bake ~ I second flowerbugs suggestion Beans can be grown all along the north end of the garden on a trellis (not taking any sun from the rest of the garden ~ you see what I'm saying/we're saying ```

i doubt there are many coffee growers in MI (would have to be a very controlled environment) but somehow we manage to still import the stuff even in the middle of winter. i'm also drinking liquids without caffiene. coffee substitutes (Cafix is the one i'm trying now - it is ok, very mellow in comparison) are of interest to me because i have a sensitivity to caffiene and sleep much better if i avoid it. alas, chocolate also has some.

from wikipedia...

"The name Michigan is the French form of the Ojibwa word mishigamaa, meaning "large water" or "large lake"

i love beans of all types and yes it is good to come to know them gradually so your body can adjust to the extra fiber. :)

i would love to get some bush cherries going here but there is no good place for them. i really liked the dried ones we get from upstate the Montmorency kind that are tart. i could eat those by the hundred weight.

ok, gotta run, but good to see you and saying hello RV. :)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Ralph. What kind of growing season does Toronto have? I’m sure we will learn as much from you as you do us.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Ralph, and Welcome from South East Missouri. I hope you find lots of useful info here. I don't think we've had many members from Canada. We had @Aftermdnight but she is in Vancouver, so clearly different climate than you have in Toronto.

Latest posts