Home made petrin makes jelly

fletamae

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Gather green apples cut into quarter, peeling, seed together.Add enought water and cook
slowly untill the apple mixture is mush like apple sauce. place apple mixture in a strainer and let drain for 24 hours. the juice can be used to make jell.
combine 2 cups fruit of choice, 2 cups green apple petrin and two cups sugar. cook until this mixture reaches 221 degrees. pour in jars and seal you must stire to keep from burning.
I made straw berry jam this way and I grew tired of stiring so I put the mixture in a bowl and cooked in the microwave for about 7 minutes. no stiring or burning. You can test your jell by putting a spoon in jell mixture and let it drip off spoon. if it comes off in a sheet it is Jell.
101_0479.jpg

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can also can the apple pectin (just as you would if it were a 'real' preserve) and use it later to make any kind of fruit jam/preserve/whatever, even if you just have a small amount of fruit. Kind of handy, esp. if you like making very small amounts of jams.

Recipe is somewhere else on this site, I believe maybe on Shellie's crabapple thread (?).

Pat

fletamae

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I knew you could do the thing with crab apples but I don't have crab apples. My neighbor went to California and told me I could have her apples so I picked a few and did a google search for the recipe . I wanted to try this just to see if I could but anyone who makes jelly knows how high petrin is now so it would be worth the effort to do this if you have a family and make jelly.
I really could buy all the jelly I could or should eat but when I had children at home I made jelly every summer with what ever fruit I had.
The Inter net is a wonderful store house of information.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
fletamae said:
I knew you could do the thing with crab apples but I don't have crab apples.
I've actually never done it with crabapples myself :p -- it works just great with green (like as in, underripe) regular apples. If a person thins their crop, or picks up the unripe windfall after a storm before the bugs get to it, that works well.

I really could buy all the jelly I could or should eat
LOL, isn't that the truth - but I just love making jam and jelly and marmalade and stuff like that. It's a neat process and the result is so pretty :) So I look at it as getting ahead on my Christmas gift list :p

Pat

Latest posts