Honey Berries

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Any one ever grow a honey berry? I just planted 6 of them (along with boysenberries) and was wondering if anyone has good luck with them or what they use them for or how much to expect out of a bush?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You mean the honeysuckle things?

I ordered a couple this year, havent' even gotten them yet, so I dunno but look forward to finding out :)

I have seen catalog-copy and website estimates of yield for mature bushes but I don't remember offhand (try googling, there are now lots of websites on 'em) and suspect it depends HEAVILY on your ability to protect them vs birds.

Pat

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
These are not honeysuckle. They are a berry that looks like a blueberry that has been stretched to be long. They grow in bushes like a blueberry does as well.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I do believe honey berry is a type of honeysuckle!

I saw a bunch over these as natural landscaping at the NC Zoo when we went on Monday. And let me tell you... when I'm at the zoo, I kind of bring home native growing souvenir, but my husband saw me eyeballing how to pull one of those (and a hellbourne) plant up to take home in my back pack. So bummed out... next time, bigger backpack!!!

honeyberrybush.jpg.w300h225.jpg

http://albertafruittrees.tripod.com/id8.html

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
These are not honeysuckle. They are a berry that looks like a blueberry that has been stretched to be long. They grow in bushes like a blueberry does as well.
Then yes, they are what I am talking about too; and yes they ARE a honeysuckle ;) At least in Canada there seems to be an effort to rebrand them as "Haskap" rather than any of the abovementioned names, but, either way, they are a shrub of the honeysuckle genus.

There is quite a lot of info available on line now, they are sort of a trendy thing at the moment. For a simple overview, try
http://www.organicagcentre.ca/NewspaperArticles/na_haskap_bf.asp

Pat

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
They are a honeysuckle but not actually the honeysuckle (which is what I thought you asked). I have read several things about them but I was looking for someone that actually has dealt with them to see what kind of first hand info there is out there.

Latest posts