Honeyberry Plants

tinychicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Just bought a couple of honeyberry plants today on a whim. I've heard of them but am really not very familiar with them. I read that you should have at least 2 varieties for pollination (like blueberries). I bought Honeybee and Berry Blue. Anyone have any insights to share?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I ordered some last year. A company up north shipped too late for our hot climate, but I set the twigs out anyway, They burnt over the summer. I hope you have better luck.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have one of both those varieties. They've been growing for three years now, but I've failed to get any fruit from them other than a berry or so. Not sure why. They certainly flower out nicely and seem like they set fruit. I guess I'm so used to blueberries hanging around for a long time that these get past me.

Both of mine NEED to be transplanted out of my asparagus bed this year. Fingers crossed for luck.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@tinychicken did you get them from Berries Unlimited? They are headquartered here in my town, Prairie Grove Arkansas. They are here because of the facilities at the University of Arkansas, they do a lot of research in plants and U of A has a good reproductive program from plant tissues. The husband's passion is Blueberries, a U of A specialty, the wife does the Honeyberries. She develops two or three new varieties of honeyberries each year.

It's been a few years since I've spoken to either of them. She's a little more straightforward than her husband. She told me to not bother getting any honeyberries, it's too hot for them down here. Their growing facilities are up north, if I remember right they had two in Canada. Supposedly they will grow in zones 2 through 8 but they do better in zones 2 to 4. That's where they grow wild in Russia, zones 2 to 4. She is originally from Russia and still has a pretty strong accent. I did enjoy talking to her.

Red and Alex, I'd think you'd do OK if you have a "normal" season, but hot is bad. I can't remember if they need damp or not but I'd think dry might be bad. I haven't tried to grow them, not after her warning, so I can't speak form experience, just from my conversation with her.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
She told me to not bother getting any honeyberries, it's too hot for them down here. Their growing facilities are up north, if I remember right they had two in Canada. Supposedly they will grow in zones 2 through 8 but they do better in zones 2 to 4. That's where they grow wild in Russia, zones 2 to 4. She is originally from Russia and still has a pretty strong accent. I did enjoy talking to her.

I guess that's why they toasted to a crisp here.

edited this 4 times, still got it messed up.....

tinychicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ridgerunner, I got them from my local feed store, Wilco. From what I can find out on line, the 2 varieties I bought may not be the best pollinators for each other. I may return them and get blueberries instead. At least I have some experience with them!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
So now have low hopes for them. Our summers are very hot and humid. They where one of those oh this looks interesting lets try one. I lose a lot of plants because of it looks interesting.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Alex, I don't know your zone but we all have our own microclimates. It's a try and see. Maybe your nights will cool off enough for them to make it and do well.

I practically always try something different, just because I think it might be fun. This year one of those is celeriac, I started seeds and plan to start hardening them off today to get ready to transplant. I think I'm too hot and dry for it though. It's one that would probably do better where you are. But I plan to mulch it well and provide some afternoon shade to see how it does.

@tinychicken I don't know your area either but blueberries may be a better choice. Your decision of course. If I could grow them honeyberries sound like something I'd like.

I guess that's why they toasted to a crisp here.

edited this 4 times, still got it messed up.....

Don't worry Bay, I won't tell Seed. It'll be our secret.

Latest posts