Honeycrisp Apple Cuttings?

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Anyone have honeycrisp apple trees that is willing to sell me some cuttings for grafting?

Since I do not have room for another tree I figure this might be a way for me to grow my own honeycrisps.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wish I could help, those sounds fantastic! We only have Lodi and Red Johnathon.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've never done grafting before so I think I will practice on the trees I have until I can find some scions. I would love to freak out hubby by having apples pop up on the pear tree :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
I've never done grafting before so I think I will practice on the trees I have until I can find some scions. I would love to freak out hubby by having apples pop up on the pear tree :D
I've never though about inter mingling species of tree/fruit. I've seen many grafted trees and how-to's for certain ones like apple on apple and pear on pear.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah, you can mix em! Neat huh? From what I found you can graft cherry and plum or pear and apple, but I don't know if you can graft cherry to apple. THAT would be cool :D

I also have a crab apple tree. Might have to see if I can get edible apples on to the ornamental crab apple too.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Got an answer in the grafting...
"The key to success in such wild grafting is to use scion wood and rootstock of the same type of tree. For instance, graft apple (malus) to apple or crabapplethey're all apples. Likewise, you can use "wild" pears as rootstock (seedling hardy pears) and graft domestic cultivars onto it. Or you can graft stone fruit to stone fruitplums, cherries, and peaches are interchangeable. But you can't graft a cherry onto an apple, a pear onto an apple, or a cherry onto an apple or pear."

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/clay121.html

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My tree is too little and is starting to leaf out so I think it's too late this year. But if you are still looking next year I could send you some scion wood. I plan to graft several apple trees with mulitiple varieties some day:)

Here is a good source for mail order scion wood. They have a huge assortment and you could get Honeycrisp and many others.

http://maplevalleyorchards.com/Pages/ScionWood.aspx

Trisha

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The more I read the more it looks like I missed the boat for this year. Thanks for the offer and the link though. Looks like this year will be for studying and I can go crazy on the grafting next year :D

Shiloh Acres

Leafing Out
Reaction score
This is making me curious?

I'm guessing the answer would probably be no, but in case I am wrong ...

If you live in an area where you can grow plum, but not cherry, does that mean you could get fruit by grafting a cherry onto a plum?

I'm betting the answer is actually no since I THINK the reason they don't recommend cherry is a lack of sufficient chill for fruiting, but I'm not really sure.

Thanks!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have no clue. I have never lived in a place where a lack of chill time was an issue :p

I just checked the apple tree and it is still dormant. As a quick experiment I think I will try putting a scion from my really good apple tree on to the Japanese crab apple tree and see what happens :D

Latest posts