Honeysuckle Syrup?

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/honeysuckle-syrup-zerz1605zcbru

I found a recipe awhile back for Honeysuckle Syrup, and though most everyone I know has turned their nose up at the future prospect of trying it, I am curious to know whether anyone here has made or tried some for their selves.

I want to try making this, and feel it may be a unique taste. Honeysuckles are ready to pick right now! Have you ever made or eaten honeysuckle syrup? What is your opinion- do you think it would be good?

EDIT: I am going to try making this just for the sake of, so I will take some photos and post them here. It should take about two days.

Last edited:

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So here are the beginning steps- I have 1 cup of fresh picked honeysuckles in this jar and added the water to it. It needs to stand for 12 to 24 hours (I can assume the longer, the stronger the flavor).

IMG_4441.JPG IMG_4445.JPG IMG_4446.JPG

Last edited:

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@ninnymary - When I poured the boiling water over the flowers, I cannot tell you how pleasant the aroma from it was! It made me want to make a tea from it instead.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like this! My husband loves honeysuckle and it grows wild everywhere around here. There is even a red flowered kind. But if I made the syrup, I'd want to can it in half pint jars. If it only keeps for 2 weeks in the refrigerator, then I'd run out quickly after the flowers quit blooming.

I am waiting on your syrup results!

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well... ten hours later? And the mixture still smells very sweet. The flowers have dulled and lost their color in the water, and the water is now a yellow color.

@baymule - I was wondering about canning it myself. It's so unique that I feel like it would be a great gift in small taster jars. Just to gauge friend and family interest for future reference (holidays, birthdays, and such!)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well you know, sugar is a preservative. I can pears (when I can get them) in a light sugar syrup which is 1 cup syrup to 3 cups water and we haven't died yet. I see no reason why honeysuckle syrup couldn't be canned and hot water bathed. I was intrigued by the recipe stating that honeysuckle is anti viral and anti bacterial. I have 2 grand daughters that are allergic to antibiotics.

Latest posts