Hoping More Folks Join the LITTLE EASY BEAN NETWORK

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
We really are lucky and blessed to have among us, one of the original WANIGAN ASSOCIATES heirloom bean collectors, Russ Crow.

Add to that, Russ Crow is right here in TEG, doing a REVIVAL of JOHN WITHEE's Wanigan Bean Collector Association. On the following message topic:

http://www.theeasygarden.com/thread...w-beans-on-the-cheap.15216/page-9#post-178968

Many of the beans his RAPIDLY GROWING collection are EXTREMELY BEAUTIFUL dry beans, and others are VERY SPECIAL snap beans. Some of his varieties are as old as from before Columbus' arrival in the new world, others are as new as just harvested LAST FALL. Some of his beans are from his original WANIGAN BEAN ASSOCIATES collection.

This is PART OF GARDENING HISTORY! There are beans grown by WAHEENEE, Buffalo Bird Woman, and there are beans grown by the Pilgrims. He has beans that were grown during the Revolutionary war for Independence. He has some APPALACHIAN varieties, and he has some varieties that are grown in AFRICA.

MANY OF HIS VARIETIES ARE NOT AVAILABLE ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD, and are in need of PEOPLE GROWING, USING, AND INCREASING THEM.

With rare bean varieties, some so rare that there exist in the world less than one single handful of beans, the first thing that is needed is to grow them to seed.

Each seed planted and grown out to DRY PODS produces what should be at minimum, 16 new seeds, and usually more like 40 new seeds for a bush bean, or 60 to 80 new seeds for a pole bean. These numbers can vary wildly of course.

So, consider joining the LITTLE EASY BEAN NETWORK. Russ has described how it works in the first few messages of that topic.

In a good sunny garden space of 4 feet by 4 feet a variety can be saved from extinction, you end up having seeds of your own to increase, grow, and save, and use, and Russ Crow's STEWARDSHIP of HUNDREDS of varieties can grow to THOUSANDS of varieties.

Beans are easy to grow, don't need or even want fertilizer, and are some of the prettiest things you can grow. Some are even used for JEWELRY.

For first time or beginner bean growers joining on this TRULY INFORMAL endeavor, make sure you ask Russ which varieties are easy to grow and sure producers for your area. Even so, most varieties are good for most areas. Only the farthest north gardeners would want to have the quicker to produce varieties, and only the farthest south gardeners would need to be concerned about heat tolerance or disease tolerance.

Dry beans are grown even in Canada's cool zones, and dry beans are grown in the deserts of Mexico. These more extreme places present some difficulties that determined experience easily overcomes.

Most of us in America are in EASY BEAN growing places.

COME ON INTO THE LITTLE EASY BEAN NETWORK.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I sent in my address, @marshallsmyth !

Reading somewhere about the late Mr Withee, I learned that a "wanigan" was the boat in the river where the camp cook prepared meals for the logging crew. It was probably a very popular location there in the Maine forests! I should probably check that information but I think I got that right.

Doing something like the seed network looks like a big step up from standing around and taking selfies - an alternative activity that holds some personal interest. Maybe I can combine the 2 as variety information at the end of the season!

Steve
here's hoping that Benjamin Bunny doesn't take too much interest in this.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice plug, Marshall! :thumbsup

It has really been an exciting endeavor and something I am delighted to have the privilege to be part of. This year will be my second in the process of growing out a good supply of all of my tomatoes, beans and some peppers and other assorted heirlooms in my seed collection. I am hoping to approach my county library and ag extension with the idea of starting a seed lending library in my community. The Little Easy Bean Network (and TEG in general) have given me a wonderful opportunity to add some exciting beans and things to my collection. It really is something special. I hope more people will want to get involved too. I'd like to see all of those bean varieties spoken for this season!

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
By growing these beans and saving seeds from them, you're also supporting crop diversity (both local and non-local, they're both good) and small - scale agriculture (that is what you're doing by growing them after all). Don't forget that you can pass extra saved seed on to other growers to further spread these beany beauties! (Also don't forget that some of those seeds go back to Mr. Crow.)

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I really would like to help you all out, but I can't justify taking up my very limited space for something nobody around here will eat. :( I will try to keep some spare space open, next year.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, Marshall, you missed your calling! You could sell hairbrushes to bald people! I wasn't going to take part this year--last year the weather didn't cooperate and I had a difficult time getting enough of one of the varieties to fulfill my end of the bargain. But I guess you talked me into trying it again. I just don't want to be entrusted with the last handful of any variety!

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really would like to help you all out, but I can't justify taking up my very limited space for something nobody around here will eat. :( I will try to keep some spare space open, next year.

I'm in more or less the same position. As much as I am with the ideals here in spirit, I just don't have the space. I can take on any rare seed, because I could not vouchsafe that I could return 25 good seeds, or indeed any (most years, 25 seeds is about 95-150% of the total number of seed all of my assorted legumes make COMBINED over the year) Better I refrain until they are common enough that my total crop failures don't jeopardize the survival of the strain. I may lust to try some of the new earth pea strains for myself, but living where I do, up north, in the soil I have, taking seed now would be as the Japanese say "Casting koban before a cat"

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
You needn't grow pole beans in the veggie garden. How about in the flower garden up a trellis. One year I planted beans and morning glories on the same trellises. I had the beauty of the flowers and the fruit of the bean vines. Win/win. Of course some varieties of bean flowers are pretty enough to stand alone AND you still get the seeds.

Even a short row of beans in the flower garden can be attractive -- keeping a green background foil for the front flowers -- while providing food and keeping bean strains going strong.

As for soil -- try putting three bags of potting soil on the ground around a pole, under the eaves, or along fencing. Cut slits in the tops and bottoms. Plant bean seeds in the tops and let'm go. Little need for water in the sacks. Plenty of the heat beans like to grow. Few weeds.

Hey, I don't want anyone to feel pressured. . . just saying.

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You needn't grow pole beans in the veggie garden. How about in the flower garden up a trellis. One year I planted beans and morning glories on the same trellises. I had the beauty of the flowers and the fruit of the bean vines. Win/win. Of course some varieties of bean flowers are pretty enough to stand alone AND you still get the seeds.

Even a short row of beans in the flower garden can be attractive -- keeping a green background foil for the front flowers -- while providing food and keeping bean strains going strong.

As for soil -- try putting three bags of potting soil on the ground around a pole, under the eaves, or along fencing. Cut slits in the tops and bottoms. Plant bean seeds in the tops and let'm go. Little need for water in the sacks. Plenty of the heat beans like to grow. Few weeds.

Hey, I don't want anyone to feel pressured. . . just saying.
If I had flower beds safe from animals I would try that. :(

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do you think I could get a variety that can be started in May, and is finished by September or October. Could I plant it in with my corn, and let it grow up into the corn?

I shouldn't get frost until mid October, but if it is an important bean I would like a bit more of a safety zone, hence September or October.

Latest posts