Horseradish- now what???

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay, I have a nice patch of horseradish. The leaves have turned fall colors. It is my understanding that now is the time to harvest. Is there a way to preserve it? Does anybody have a tried and true way??

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Horseradish has some anti bacterial properties. I like it best mixed with sour cream in a blender. It will keep that way for several weeks in the refrigerator.
Long term the only way I know is to mix the chopped horse radish with vinegar. If you try to can it the heat will destroy most of the "kick".

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Hoodat...I am always amazed at your knowledge. You know EVERYTHING. I mean that in a nice way. :)

Mary
In 80 years you're bound to pick up a few things. I tell people I'm a wealth of mostly useless information. ;)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hoodat...you make me laugh. Your info. is defintely not USELESS. I have learned alot from you and the others. Probably just as important is your inspiration. At 80 you are still going strong. :D

Mary

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
This is my first time growing it too. So I dig up the root but leave some pieces for next year??

As for preparation, I will be fermenting mine.

http://nourishedkitchen.com/homemade-horseradish/
I always pick a nice straight root and bury it straight up and down in soil that is as stone free as possible. Hitting stones tends to make it gnarly. I usually discard the older main root. It will be very fibrous. However as anyone who has ever tried to get rid of horseradish will tell you, no matter how hard you try there will always be enough of a root left behind to let it come back.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chicken Stalker, I was wondering the same thing. The recipe calls for whey??

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Very interesting idea but I don't know where you would get living whey nowadays unless you make your own cheese.
As a side note I used to live near a place where they made horseradish sauce. All of the workers wore gas masks.

Latest posts