Hose Trouble

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
  1. I'm having a lot of trouble setting up misters for the chickens. What makes a hose blow? I had a heavy duty hose attached to one mister yesterday, and it blew out 2 times. Fixed it with a clamp end, only to have it blow out again. Ditto with the lighter-weight hoses. Attached two to a different mister, and both hoses blew out. These 2 stand-up misters are attached to two hoses. The main spigot has a 4-way splitter on it, and nearer the coop at the hose end is a 4-way spl...itter also. Is this too many splitters? Do I have to release the pressure at one end before turning another end off. What is your best guess? I'm at my wit's end. I find it hard to believe that all of these hoses are bad/weak. Hubby says they must have had water in them at the end of the fall and frozen over the winter, because they were not rolled up properly, and that is why they are all blowing out, due to weak spots in the hoses Says I need to buy new heavy-duty hoses. Do you think that will solve the problem, or do you think it's a water pressure problem?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't believe it's a water pressure issue. Water freezing in hoses Can mess them up.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you don't get all the water out and it freezes is a likely culprit. it stretches the hose and weakens it. I've had mice chew on hoses in storage and ruin them. Sometimes kinked hoses can weaken at the kink. Sometimes hoses just get old.

Is it blowing a hole in the hose itself or is it at a fitting?

You can get an inline valve to screw into the hose, say at the spigot, and reduce pressure. I use those a lot. Sometimes I just want water to barely dribble out, say I'm irrigating. And sometimes I put one where I can shut the water off without going all the way back to the spigot, say I want to move a sprinkler without getting soaked.

I think you just have a bad hose and need a new one but you can try to reduce pressure if you want to.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I depend on hoses for cleaning inside kennel and dog runs. I buy sears craftman hoses they have life time warranty. They are more money but worth it. I have found a hose left on sitting in sun during summer will rupture no matter have heavy duty. Water heats up inside hose pop then a fountain.

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think it is the heat thing, Nyboy. I'll bet you are right. We've had several days of temps over 100, and my hose IS in the hot sun, stretched out. You've made me feel a lot better.

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't think all the hoses would rupture at the same time, even if they were all outside during the winter.

Latest posts