Hot Stuff! Too many Green CAYENNE PEPPERS! What to do?

ranchhand

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
DH was bemoaning the unhappy death of all his pepper plants, so a co-worker kindly brought him this big basket of green cayennes. (the co-worker calls the "cheyenne" peppers :p "

Besides pepper vodka, what can I do with these?

6099_lots_of_peppers.jpg

Thanks in advance! :rainbow-sun

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Send them to my house? :D

Seriously though, you can dry them, roast and freeze them, pickle them, etc...

Looks like you have some fat jalapenos in there too. I made bacon wrapped poppers just the other day. Yummmmm.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is a lot of peppers. How about some hot pickled okra? That would use up a few.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
21 of those green cayenne peppers
1 cup white vinegar
3 allspice berries
and the juice of one lime

put it all in a blender blend until smooth then take it outside to open away from your face!!!

carefully bottle and you have wonderful hot sauce that improves with age :)

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Blanch the peppers, or roast them and whiz them all up in a food processor with...

garlic,
lime juice,
salt and pepper
a few almonds
olive oil

... to make a nice sort of pesto. Cover it with 1/4 inch more of olive oil to keep out oxygen and store it in a tightly covered jar in the fridge. It will keep for months that way.
Use it to season foods or as a hot relish at the table. It would be awesome tossed with pasta and cheese when the snows of December are blowing.

You can also make this pesto, sans the oil, and freeze it in ice cube trays. Then you can have chunks of it available, all winter.

ranchhand

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great ideas, I think the salsa and pesto ideas will be easiest. But Davaroo, what is this "snow" you speak of? :lol: My ancient sled hasn't seen any action in 8 years!

bid- All the okra has died too, we had a really bad spring in terms of rain. Root rot everywhere. I still have some pickled okra from last summer though.

Wifezilla, I love the poppers. I mince a bunch of cooked shrimp, mix it with cream cheese, wrap with bacon and bake rather than fry. Labor intensive, but so dang good! How do you do them?

HiDelight, I have some Grolsch type bottles that will be perfect for storing the salsa.

Again, my thanks to everyone, I've had plenty of reds but never all these greens. I'll post the results.

Hmmmm.... I just inherited a dehydrator- wonder if I could dry some and use in stir fry? I bet it would work.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Send them to me... I forgot to plant peppers and my salsas are all bland having to use sweet peppers my neighbor shares with us! LOL

Also, I've seen a recipe for stuffed peppers you could make them with this, add a little spice. Make some meat in a sweet cream ranch sauce to help take the edge off... cook the pepper over an open flame and then freeze some for a quick nuked hot treat over the winter!

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wifezilla to funny .. actually giggled out loud on that one!
ive never heard or seen these, they look like greenbeans but they are spicy??
ranchhand i cant wait to see and hear what you decide to do!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can also preserve peppers by freezing them. From what I read, you are supposed to cut them in half and take the seeds out first.

ranchhand

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
vfem said:
Send them to me... I forgot to plant peppers and my salsas are all bland having to use sweet peppers my neighbor shares with us! LOL

Also, I've seen a recipe for stuffed peppers you could make them with this, add a little spice. Make some meat in a sweet cream ranch sauce to help take the edge off... cook the pepper over an open flame and then freeze some for a quick nuked hot treat over the winter!
Very punny! :lol:

These peppers are no bigger around than my teeniest finger, so seeding is not a real attractive idea. Ow, ow, ow.

Of course, eating the seeds isn't either! :rolleyes:

Latest posts