How bout this.........

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just read where a 96 year old lady said that she has always poured her dishwater over her plants and that she has never, once, had to buy bug killer for her plants.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
boggybranch said:
Just read where a 96 year old lady said that she has always poured her dishwater over her plants and that she has never, once, had to buy bug killer for her plants.
In the summer to conserve water, I use two dish pans to wash and rinse the dishes, then I pour the water on the plants in the backyard. I don't have much of a bug problem. I think the dishsoap helps to get rid of many bugs.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like it is at least worth an experiment??? Boggy, that little angel on your avatar is adorable!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is pretty accurate assuming a few things are true.

Particularly bio-degradable, non-antibacterial soap can work relatively well for controlling *most* minor insect infestations. The soap typically works to suffocate the insects.

We too use most of our dish pan soap in parts of the garden and is a great way to conserve and reuse water. Just be careful when using products with boron, chlorine, ammonia and other harsher chemicals.

I do use mild soapy water (Dawn) in a spray bottle to knock out major aphid infestations on the roses with relative success. There may be an adverse affect on the ladybug and other *good* predator bugs that feed on them so I try not to use in Spring when ladybugs, especially larvae, are feeding.

Use judgement.

Carlos

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
Sounds like it is at least worth an experiment??? Boggy, that little angel on your avatar is adorable!
Hahahahaha....thanks. That's pawpaw's sunshine....God knows, I LOVE that youngun.

Latest posts