How close do the grow lights have to be so seedlings don't get leggy?

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My broccoli has sprouted and I turned on the lights. I have it hung about 4-5 inches above them. Is this close enough to keep them from getting leggy?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like to keep mine almost touching the leaves. Check your lumens too, I had some legginess going on last year even with the lights nearly touching, then I swapped the bulbs out for ones with higher lumens and they were much improved.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm with thistle- closer is better. I have mine on a chain set-up, so I can keep raising them as the seedlings grow....

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hmm, I've got my rack setting in front of my huge picture window and grow lights on too. I will check the lumens on the bulbs. Didn't know such a thing existed. What should they be?

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
lesa said:
I'm with thistle- closer is better. I have mine on a chain set-up, so I can keep raising them as the seedlings grow....
Mine are on chains too, so I am going to lower them some more.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have always heard 2-4 inches, and tried to go with 2 until they developed true leaves then you can go a little farther if you have to. I can use chains to raise them if I need to but when my lights weren't movable I used different size boxes to more the plants up and down.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I also go as close as possible around 2". We also use a small fan on them to make them a little more sturdy.