How come tarragon is so nasty?

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Man, I can't stand that stuff. I have a big bush of it growing in my herb garden. It died over the winter, but it is coming back. I tried several recipes that I found to use it, but everything I put it in turns completely inedible to me.

Is it just me, or does it taste like licorice (which is also gross) to everyone? And it tastes like rootbeer, too. (also also gross)

I'm obviously not going to be able to eat it because it's just disgusting. What else can I do with it? Do you think it is safe to feed to the chickens or guinea pigs sometimes?

Thanks,
Cassandra

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We have a patch of tarragon too, and we like to add it to sauces and plain rice sometimes. It does taste like licorice, and maybe for you, it's one of those things that you either love or hate, like cilantro and olives....

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think either you like it or hate it. Yes, it tastes like anise/licorice, and btw the word you are looking for is spelled 't-a-s-t-y' not 'g-r-o-s-s' LOL It is possible you are using too much of it, but it also sounds like you just don't like it. Which is fair enough. I don't like dill :)

If you don't like it, dig it out and give it to a neighbor -- good tarragon doesn't come from seed so it is not an entirely trivial thing to have a good clump to give away ;) It should be harmless in moderation fed to any animals that are willing to eat it.

Pat

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
sounds like it would be good in pasta sauce. if motivated, I like to add ground anise seeds to make sauce taste more yummy

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
It is possible you are using too much of it, but it also sounds like you just don't like it. Which is fair enough. I don't like dill :)
Pat
I love dill! I don't bother growing it, though cause I am more into annuals.

I do hate cilantro. Love olives, though. (The green ones. Black ones are tasteless to me.)

I just wanted to say that I got suckered into buying it. The lady with the nursery across the road sold it to me. Last spring I was just trying to buy up a bunch of different stuff. (anything annual) And she was like, "Ohhhh this tarragon is so nice. It smells like licorice!" and I was thinking "GAG" and she shoved it in my face all like "Smell it!" I said, "Oh, yeah. It does smell like licorice." And as distasteful as I found it, I brought it home anyway cause I already had some of every other kind of herb she had to sell.

I didn't buy the garlic chives, tho. Maybe I should have. But I had two whole rows of garlic already planted. (which turned out divine and lasted me for about nine months after I harvested it.)

I will see if the critters like it. But it wouldn't shock me if they turned their noses up at it.

Cassandra
(t-a-s-t-y LOL)

S0rcy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Don't forget that tarragon has different types just as fennel does! Not everyone likes the taste of certain types of fennel. If you don't like the tarragon and it isn't pretty enough for you, you could tear it up and replace it with something. Sorry I don't have experience with guineas or chickens eating it. My 4 chicks are too young yet to be real free with fresh vegetation :D

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love root beer, so maybe even this won't work for you.:lol:

Try drying tarragon, As it is not as strongly flavoured as fresh.

Using a very small sprinkling of it on salmon, that has been sprinkled with a bit of brown sugar, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and a few slabs of butter. Throw it on the BBQ, or broil it. I find it adds a unique flavor.

You can also add a pinch of the dryed tarragon to a Hollandaise sauce, for a little flavor. Nice for eggs benny!:p

Use it sparingly though, as it can overwhelm!

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Cassandra, I'm with you. :clap I too H-A-T-E all things horehound/licorice/rootbeer/anise/fennel scented or flavored. It is one of those things that you either love or hate with not much middle ground involved and don't let anybody try to tell you any different.

Latest posts