How Could This Happen?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I looked out the back door this afternoon and saw two little green things on the patio. Two hummingbirds! Dead! Just lying there, about 6" apart. The only thing that makes sense is that they were fighting in mid-air and crashed into the window at full speed. There was not a door open on the other side of the house, that could be seen as a fly-through area, as sometimes happens. Just a big glass patio door, in the shade. We have had hummers and other birds crash into the door and sit stunned for as long as several hours, but eventually they come around. (usually) I've never had two at once do this. I'm pretty bummed. It was a female and an immature male. That may have been the only two we had this year. I wonder if more will come.:(

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've had other birds crash into glass and recover, but the hummers are so tiny, they just don't survive. Sorry about your hummers. :hit

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ah, that's so sad. Poor little hummers. They fly so far to migrate and then to die from an accident at your house...sorry that happened to you. :(

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember reading once that high rises along the Gulf Coast cause serious losses to migrating birds.

Nowhere near those Gulf Coast cities, I was once walking on a downtown sidewalk and found a tiny dead bird - a Vireo. I just cannot identify those birds in the environment, even though I know that they live here.

Twenty years later, I still haven't been able to know that I'm looking at any live Vireo. I've only really seen that one and it was motionless. It feels to me that I should be able to do better.

Hummers are really quite aggressive birds despite, or maybe, because of their size.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did see another little male out there this morning, so hopefully there are still more around.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seems like hummers are everyone's favorite. It's sad to lose two especially when it could have been a mating pair.

Mary

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am sorry about the humming birds, glad you did see more..
We had one in Garage recently had allot of fun guiding it after opening the bay door
to let it out