how determined would you be to get your garden in?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think he is just trying to be normal, Chickie'sMoma. Normal is getting things done in that tractor.

He has been involved in 2 dangerous activities, hunting and farming. The CDC tells us that the yearly death rate for people working on farms is 26.3 per 100,000 workers. So, nearly 3 farmers out of every 10,000 die each year from work-related injuries.

Just surviving 40 years of farming without serious injury is an accomplishment.

Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
after working with my dh to get him back up to speed, i realize how much some rehab hospitals will work with your everyday life activities to get you back on track. this was really interesting since i'm just wondering what they had to modify on the tractor for ease of access and help driving it. would it be modifying with hand controls like they do for cars and vans? or would it be harder for them to modify a tractor? i understand this is also this man's way of living and he probably can't afford to take the break from how he makes his money.

my dh was so worried about loosing his job while he was recovering from his stroke. his biggest fear is that he used too much sick time and spent too much money from his health insurance that they would fire him when he returned. he's only been working for this company since last May so he didn't yet qualify for the FMLA, and the place also had less than 30 employees so they didn't participate in that. he also didn't take their offer when he started for disability, so we didn't have that to fall back on while i've also been out of work. :/ in the worst way, my hubby wanted to get back to work! he was determined to get back to what he felt was normal again!

i'm just hoping he's putting that energy into helping me this year with my garden as part of his therapy.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Farm machinery is often surprisingly easy to operate.

Everything associated with them is dangerous, so I'm not saying that they are safe. Still, the operator climbs up there and runs them for 12 or 14 hours a day. Often, the farmer hires high school kids to run them. A lot of this ag engineering (automation) we see is a result of the difficulty finding farm labor. Inexperience also adds to the higher injury rate for farm work.

Just looking at a CNN story on job fatalities in the US. The rate for all occupations is 3.5 per 100,000. That provides some comparison. Good Heavens, when the machine breaks down in those farm fields, that's when things get dangerous.

Steve

Latest posts