how do u grow mango mine sprouted what else do i need to know

pax12

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
how do u grow mango mine sprouted what else do i need to know

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My grandmother is famous for growing plants out of fruit seeds she just 'throws on the ground' and mango is one of those.

She has about 4 mango trees growing in her backyard and to this day they still produce tons of fruits. Although, from seed they take about 6-8 years to begin to produce.

Depending on your climate, you can grow them directly in the garden of in a large pot that you can move indoors during colder parts of the year (under 40 degrees can seriously inhibit flower and fruit production). They are a tropical plant (native to the Indian subcontinent and Southeast Asia) and will die in anything under 30 degrees even for short periods. That being said, the roots cannot be disturbed or the plant will easily fall into shock and possibly die from leaf drop. So if you do decide to plant in a pot, choose your permanent pot now and leave it there (or you can buy those bio-degradable pots that breakdown and just move it into the bigger pot, just don't disturb the roots).

The trees can grow very tall (up to 100 feet) but this is in perfect native conditions so yours may not get as big. Nonetheless, you should plan for a shade/fruit tree. They prefer very fertile, well drained soil and fertilize during flowering.

Even if you can't grow them outside, they make nice houseplants that may eventually produce fruit. They are a fun experiment for kids and are very attractive plants.

Good luck!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
mango is great to plant. i've also tried oranges, pineapple, limes, papaya, coconut, and avocado. I really would like to try to plant kumkuats or limes as i've heard they begin fruiting from seed much earlier than oranges and other citrus.
I would think for your mango plant you would have to leave it in a pot unless you live in a very warm climate.

Latest posts