How Do You Freeze Soup ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon I started a large crockpot of chicken vegetable soup. The soup took hours, by time chicken seemed cooked it was late. I had small bowl and went to bed. I am 1 person household no way can I finish all the soup. With all the hours it took to make I don't want to throw away. What type of container do you use to freeze soup ? How much soup do you freeze in each container.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
As long as the soup isn't HOT! it should do fine. I use the store brand, but like the ones that 'zip' so I can know that they are sealed.
Stand the bag up in a tumbler, fold the top down over the rim, fill, seal, lay flat. I usually stack them in a large plastic container incase one leaks.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I purposely make big pots of soup so I can freeze it. I reuse containers like yogurt, sour cream, Becel margarine etc. soup for two usually goes in a yogurt container. Easy to slip out into a pot. I reuse these containers once or twice before throwing out.

Annette

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
If it's just a little bit, I thaw it a bit under running water, then warm on the stove.
If it's a quart or more, I just dump the frozen brick into a crock pot on low early in the day.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use canning jars. I like to store them in the door of my stand alone freezer. I like to use canning jars for a lot of things, especially when I give soup away. I just have to remember to take it out the night before or the morning of, so it can thaw. In a pinch, I'll use the microwave to defrost.

Mary

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
New I make room in my freezer so that a cookie sheet will sit flat on other things and whether I use a food saver bag or zip lock bag I portion it out to one or two servings, and once sealed I lay them flat on the cookie sheet. Sometimes I put two layers on the sheet. Once frozen they will break apart easily....

Things that are "flat" slide into the freezer nicely and saves allot of space....

froze tom sauce.jpg

Latest posts