How do you get a horse out of a pit?

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Oldest daughter woke me, in the wee hours, what she was saying made no sense until she said very slowly: My horse~Teaternic~has fallen into the well pit!

You may have a well, ours support equipment is in a rectangle pit, there the pipe come from the Pitless adapter to the manifold with an electric,( electric from the control box,)pressure switch and guage, from there to a pressure tank and out to the house.
I dressed, less than half awake, and joined her out in the dark, looking down into the pit, I think she had a light, I saw her horse up to it's knees in water. Everything was broken smashed and out of place, the tank was to the other side of the pit from where it was installed.

HOW DO YOU GET A HORSE OUT OF A SIX FOOT DEEP PIT?

"I turned off the pump" she said.

Soon the three of us, daughters and I, were brain storming as to what could be done to get her out, Boards~what if we put 2"X 10" boards slanted into the pit and~
Finally we, together decided to get hay bales~ we got three into the pit and with rope and halter and more rope her lunging~us pulling~ she, Teaternic, lay exhausted, scratched, brused and nicked by to the side of the pit and we gripped he legs and rolled her over and away so when she stood she wouldn't fall back into the pit.

I drove to Fernley for parts and pieces so we might have water, even the lens of the pressure guage was smashed~It was after 4:00pm before we had water.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oldest daughter woke me, in the wee hours, what she was saying made no sense until she said very slowly: My horse~Teaternic~has fallen into the well pit!

You may have a well, ours support equipment is in a rectangle pit, there the pipe come from the Pitless adapter to the manifold with an electric,( electric from the control box,)pressure switch and guage, from there to a pressure tank and out to the house.
I dressed, less than half awake, and joined her out in the dark, looking down into the pit, I think she had a light, I saw her horse up to it's knees in water. Everything was broken smashed and out of place, the tank was to the other side of the pit from where it was installed.

HOW DO YOU GET A HORSE OUT OF A SIX FOOT DEEP PIT?

"I turned off the pump" she said.

Soon the three of us, daughters and I, were brain storming as to what could be done to get her out, Boards~what if we put 2"X 10" boards slanted into the pit and~
Finally we, together decided to get hay bales~ we got three into the pit and with rope and halter and more rope her lunging~us pulling~ she, Teaternic, lay exhausted, scratched, brused and nicked by to the side of the pit and we gripped he legs and rolled her over and away so when she stood she wouldn't fall back into the pit.

I drove to Fernley for parts and pieces so we might have water, even the lens of the pressure guage was smashed~It was after 4:00pm before we had water.
Wow. Lucky she found him.Great that you could think straight in such a frightening moment.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
:he Still praying. Try digging a ramp and get at least 8 bags of stones to rake onto that ramp. I had a bog outside of my horse's shelter and after digging out all debris (from bedding) and bucketing out all water it took 3200 pounds of sand and 9 ton of gravel to fill it in, but even with the 9 inches of rain this May it still holds. YOU DON'T NEED THAT MUCH, just enough to let your horse dig in to climb. Otherwise the fire department?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Also, for the bottom of the pit, do you have any stall mats that you could put in there? ALthough they can be slick, so DON'T use them on a ramp, they will redistribute the horse's weight and prevent a hoof from going through the broken wood pieces. Following...

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, good call on the hay bales. How very lucky he did not tear himself up badly on the pipes and such. It's amazing the ways they can find to hurt themselves and the mischief they can get into. Not to be underestimated, for sure.

I just turned my horse out on my sister's pasture with her pony. So far so good, he and the pony get along well, but I have not had time to go out and survey the area. They just got moved out there last week. The previous owner had minis.

4HdIzQ6tbXfcrMnCjukyCDFoS88Bo0ypFiweVU8a0zRJeXR7aDLyYPAELIkSmskygVEn47eACKwjrM_cBv4LyXfFpbl1NvPNc_uZrtOrtWlPyez_qPJ8xgazAiVSYKEjioY02xxc3tr4Q-rD_dhyQsdbYKsaOwe0Bxm9lpXQn2l98Fwr4MopMoCM8AK_t1I8n6XbbNBAEAWOaJ3Apz7Y3fluFc58fSqDW4THfIPTY8Dotb-xspkXoAvgAkuv5AEguhueUaBfLsQYuPXwCD356VXH2NNdbif3ygOE-x-UHGh9TuMIcnBEnPQoF7CgNgEEq3-RldL-SdhoXsG52zXDL3RSjSzXQFD15iaeR8rZDwxQ2263d4FHjzNB3J25YIFeAtd6omD59N9Jh-eRd90YoD0YC8-PVBi7bSTwAmUaEv7LrftDNcdN1JuxiKP22bmHbPHuibh3SgALmAbL4jcDo3Eaj3evonhP3_4U-y2Zp_eeSX9Pd5QpCjZE-cR2CP0r7S2jQDHapEsDvSom682DgzLohpESwWHDcSMqXxb1PZ_FQN7KcxRtnXKVSzWRg4mfjmveF6WSAwEnGfAVhM6xq8oWcP-uRPmkUijYJGOazaTrXB2N2Q=w1129-h635-no
6B5XEKKeuvvk6ke8A[\img]

Latest posts