How do you get rid of Aphids?

Madhouse Pullet

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I took over my childhood home 3 years ago, and that included the backyard my mom spent 27 years "finding peace".

My mom treated the yard herself for years but, now it's my turn and she's leaving me to learn on my own. I have lots of questions but I'll start with the one that's bugging me the most.

20210417_064044.jpg

Aphids, right? Or no?

I used whatever she left in the shed a couple weeks ago but it didn't do a dang thing.
There were more but not as much now that most the buds bloomed but, I have 3 or 4 different rose bushes and they all have them.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Others may have better ideas but I usually just use my hand and brush them off in large numbers and crush them with my fingers. However this may not work for you if the bushes are the thorny type or if you don’t want touch the bugs. I’ve also heard of people knocking them off with a strong jet of water.

Madhouse Pullet

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Others may have better ideas but I usually just use my hand and brush them off in large numbers and crush them with my fingers. However this may not work for you if the bushes are the thorny type or if you don’t want touch the bugs. I’ve also heard of people knocking them off with a strong jet of water.
I'm a little scared of bugs :hide I've tried water, shaking them off, and flicking them off but there's sooo many I just want to chop the whole bush down :lol:
I'll get my DH to help.

Thank you for your response :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used whatever she left in the shed a couple weeks ago but it didn't do a dang thing.
What was that product and how old was it. Before I use anything, organic or not, I like to know what pest is the problem and if that product is good for that pest. I try to target specific pests with specific pesticides to try to avoid harming the good guys as much as I can.

Some products have a shelf life, especially biological products. Storage in extreme temperatures can cause them to be useless, biological or not.

Those are aphids. You can often wash them off with a stream or water, many people just do that. I have at times. Spinosad works on them too when they get really bad.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
"Plants that produce an abundance of pollen or nectar include Queen Anne�s lace (Daucus carota), coreopsis (Coreopsis spp.), coneflower (Echinacea spp.), goldenrod (Solidago spp.), and sweet alyssum (Lobularia maritima).

The presence of natural enemies provides �free� aphid control, so before spraying with an insecticide, check to be sure that existing natural enemies are not already �taking care of business.�"

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm willing to blast aphids off with water, spider mites too. That is okay for me if they are going somewhere that isn't a garden plant. I figure that they are likely to starve before they can walk back to feast in the garden.

Soap and Neem oil also kill aphids. Insecticidal soap is preferred but I have used Dawn dishwashing soap to good effect. Three tablespoons per gallon of water was the dilution. Keep in mind that dishwashing soap isn't made for treatment of plants. You can avoid some of the risk of damage by spraying late in the day then rinsing the plant before the sunlight is very strong the next morning. Yes, blast the dead bugs and any remaining living ones into the next county ;).

Steve

R2elk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm willing to blast aphids off with water, spider mites too. That is okay for me if they are going somewhere that isn't a garden plant. I figure that they are likely to starve before they can walk back to feast in the garden.

Soap and Neem oil also kill aphids. Insecticidal soap is preferred but I have used Dawn dishwashing soap to good effect. Three tablespoons per gallon of water was the dilution. Keep in mind that dishwashing soap isn't made for treatment of plants. You can avoid some of the risk of damage by spraying late in the day then rinsing the plant before the sunlight is very strong the next morning. Yes, blast the dead bugs and any remaining living ones into the next county ;).

Steve
I read where rubbing alcohol will kill spider mites. The recommendation was to wet a soft cloth with rubbing alcohol and wipe them off that way. My guess is that squashing is what is killing them. I did try spraying with rubbing alcohol and it seemed pretty effective.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't had any luck with aphids. They come back every year on a particular plant. I now just relocate the Asian 🐞 onto the plant and they reproduce and eat them. Works decent to last through winter.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW gets both caterpillars & aphids on her roses; an insecticidal soap spray kills both insects effectively, provided all surfaces are sprayed. Ditto on @digitS' advice above on soap sprays, and on @ducks4you 's advice to first check for any natural insect aphid predators. If those predators or their larvae are present, they represent the best long-term aphid control. Soap spray would kill them both, and the aphid population will bounce back much more quickly than the predators.

Latest posts