How Do You Heat Your Greenhouse?

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Nyboy I have a small electric heater on a timer, just enough heat to keep it hovering around 40ºF. and a kerosene heater as a backup in case the power goes off, the electric is set for the hours I want it on, too cheap to buy a fully automatic one. I usually put it in the greenhouse sometime in Oct/Nov and take it out around the end of March. I also have a thermometer unit with the sensor in the greenhouse and the read out part in the house where I can keep an eye on it. It's different every winter, most of this winter it's been set to go on at 8 or 10 in the evening and off at 8 in the morning. Right now it's set to go on at midnight and off at 8. Just enough heat to keep the tender things I have ticking over.

Annette

Last edited:

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm curious... I've seen plugs (Thermocube, I think) that are controlled by temp - they come on when it drops to a certain temp and go off again once it reaches a certain temp.
I wonder if one of these would be handy in a greenhouse?
I need to check and see what the set temps are....

They also have one that works the other way - on when it gets hot, off when it cools down.. Bet that would be handy to run an exhaust fan in late spring to keep the greenhouse from getting too hot....

eta: found it - http://www.thermocube.com/

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are also available on eBay for fifteen dollars and change, free shipping and no sales tax. I bought one for my greenhouse recently.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm curious... I've seen plugs (Thermocube, I think) that are controlled by temp - they come on when it drops to a certain temp and go off again once it reaches a certain temp.
I wonder if one of these would be handy in a greenhouse?
I need to check and see what the set temps are....

They also have one that works the other way - on when it gets hot, off when it cools down.. Bet that would be handy to run an exhaust fan in late spring to keep the greenhouse from getting too hot....

eta: found it - http://www.thermocube.com/

Brilliant, thanks for the heads up. Just looked it up, sold on Amazon ca., not expensive so ordered the one set from 35-45º. My greenhouse has gone down to 35 without any ill effect so I'm willing to give it a try.
Annette

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Costs a bit more on Amazon like $27 Canadian, free shipping. Our dollar is in the basement right now so all in all it works out about the same. In the long run if it works it will save us a few dollars in electricity. Thanks again Cane :hugs.
Annette

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a heat duct running into the sun room. It helps keep the room warm enough on winter nights unless the temps drop to zero and below. Then I add a small electric heater that goes on and off as set (about 50 degrees).

Now that the geothermal system is in, I've found the room is being kept warmer so the heater hasn't been needed.

Our tiny greenhouse isn't heated at all. I don't use it over the winter, just in the spring. I am planning to put a wood stove in the garden shed some day. DS wants to build a sauna and I'd rather planned to get double use out of the wood stove.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
this winter and the girls destroyed my green house... no need for heat....
from this
DSC_0001.JPG

to this
DSC_0002.JPG

it has lasted 3 years and 1 re-skinning will do 1 more re skinning then build something more stable ...

Latest posts