How do you make Sauerkraut? UPDATE..ITS WORKING

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I need a recipe to make sauerkraut. Any ideas? I am interested in making and eating in small batches so I don't have to can it...for the yummy probiotics and all.

Can I use a red cabbage?

Thanks!!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
it is just cabbage and salt and yes you can make it with purple cabbage! I have and it comes out ..well purple!

here is a good link to the MEN that has a great outline of how to make it and it talks about the probiotics and fermentation and all that good stuff

it is very easyI do use kosher salt

once you go home made you will NEVER go back!

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/2006-08-01/Got-Cabbage-Make-Sauerkraut.aspx

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
There's a couple of great threads on this subject over on Sufficient Self. Just do a search on fermented foods and sauerkraut. :)

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Follow up: OHA MYA GAUD! It was soo easy! I have sauerkraut "brewing" in the basement pantry now!!

I used one red small organic cabbage, two tbsp course sea salt-non iodized and two garlic cloves.

Slice the cabbage into 4 quarters, core it and then slice those into 1/4 inch or so strips.

With each quarter of cabbage I sliced, I sprinkled salt on top of. (I used my crock pot insert.) Then I used my meat mallet to crush the cabbage a bit. Then added the next quarter of sliced cabbage and repeat the same steps. And so on

I then crushed two garlic cloves and stuck them into the mix.

I put a layer of saran wrap right on top of the cabbage. Then I filled a gallon freezer bag with water and placed it ontop of the saran wrap to use as a weight. Then I just put the lid on the crock pot insert.

In two weeks I will have sauerkraut! I think I will have to spoon off the foam every once in a while off of the top and then replace the weight.

Fresh sauerkraut is full of probiotics they say, so don't can it.

Thanks for your input guys, I will get back to you in two weeks! :happy_flower

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
add fresh ground ginger and red chile flakes and you have kimchi :)

probiotics are a good thing!!!

I wish I could get my patients on antibiotics to eat fermented food!

I dont want to go to another board I already spend too much time online as it is

lets keep this thread going ..taste the cabbage as you go and just stop it when you like it that is what I do..I eat it after about five days but I make a ton when I do and like it in all the stages

fresh ...med and super sour

I love that you are doing this it is fun to make more work for yourself isnt it?

my friends do not get me I feel safe here :D they eat what I make but make fun of me for all this stuff I love to do ..you guys understand I can tell!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh I have to try this!!! I think since I am polish its one of those things that I just should know how to do since my grandparents were from Poland?! Then again... whatever! LOL

Thanks for the question... and thanks for the link to Mother Earth. Someone just bought me a subscription to their magazine as a gift for quitting smoking!!! :) Good stuff over there!!!

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
Oh I have to try this!!! I think since I am polish its one of those things that I just should know how to do since my grandparents were from Poland?! Then again... whatever! LOL

Thanks for the question... and thanks for the link to Mother Earth. Someone just bought me a subscription to their magazine as a gift for quitting smoking!!! :) Good stuff over there!!!
You have a good friend! Congradulations on quitting smoking too!

HiDelight, thanks for the add in's list. I have learned so much from you!

I will test it in 5 days, how about that? Caraway seeds are on my grocery list!

Latest posts