How do you start a tree?

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I want to some nut trees. I am thinking of growing some from the a nut or pit? Any thoughts on how to get them started or is it as simple as burying to nut / pit? if so I have some questions.

1. Does it need to be whole and uncracked / opened?

2. Would opening it help or speed the process?

3. How old of a nut should you use to plant for a seed?
Does it need to be fresh or dry?
If it is a pit does it need to be fruit free?

4. Do you need to start them in something small and grow as they do or start with a tree size pot and leave them alone?

Thanks Ahead for the insight!

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Most important thing to have is patience, I think. Takes something like 10 years to grow a nut tree from seed. :D

1. Whole, unopened, but if it's a walnut or hickory take the round hull off. There's this outer hull that will be green when it falls off the tree, and that turns brown and dries up. After it dries up, you can peel that bit off and the walnut/hickory shell will be inside. That's what you plant. Almonds have a sort of green fruity peach-like thing on the outside that you can plant whole (it will eventually rot away).

2. Nope, it will just dry out the inside. Leave whole. Unless it's a white oak, in which case your friendly neighborhood squirrel will already have conveniently cracked it on your behalf.

3. I should think relatively fresh. Obviously honey-roasted will not work. :p

4. Pretty sure you can start them in pots.

hope that helps.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am looking at local pecans and english walnuts. I found producing trees within 20 miles of me so I am hoping this shows they will produce in the soil type / area. What are your thoughts as far as the soil type for the pots and moisture amounts?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Google can be your friend. I'm not sure about pecans and english walnuts, but some nuts need to be stored at so many hours of cold temperature (maybe refrigerator, maybe freezer) before you plant them. Hickories and black walnuts should never dry out, need to be soaked in water then frozen or refrigerated, and I think the black walnut needs to be slightly cracked.

If you google the topic, you should be able to find pretty specific instructions on how to start the seeds.

One of the recommendations for growing black walnuts is to get the seeds or trees from your area as they will do better than from a region further away with different growing seasons, so getting the nuts locally is a good idea.

I too am not always into instant gratification and enjoy starting from seeds for some things. If I knew then what I know now, I would have planted about an acre of black walnuts on my parents farm when I was growing up. We had the room and the nuts. My grandchildren and grand (great?) nephews and nieces would have their college paid for.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can google up really good detailed directions for growing english walnuts in pots (or use 'search' here, b/c I think there was an earlier thread ont he subject in which good links were posted), and the same is likely true for pecans.

Have fun,

Pat