How is your Tomato Harvest Going?

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Share your harvest pictures and tell us how different types are doing!

Mortgage Lifter- Big Tomatoes, but they aren't ripe yet

Chocolate Stripes- Maybe ripe I'm trying to figure it out:
Garden+8-22-11+003.jpg

Garden+8-22-11+004.jpg

Riesentraube which translates to "giant bunch of grapes"- The 3 to the left:
Garden+8-22-11+006.jpg

Rose- one little green tomato

Volunteers from last years hybrids- they look like their parents :hu , the ones to the right:
Garden+8-22-11+006.jpg

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Doing great with the sweet 100s, yellow plum, large red cherry and mar globes. The pink climbers never set fruit. I have some black krim with green tomatoes on it, but they got a late start. Next year I am planting more mar globes!!! Love those things.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
20lbs and counting between Big Boys, Lemon Boys, Early Girls, Green Zebras, Romas and more cherry tomatoes than I can count.

7129_sam_1712.jpg

Have already eaten plenty of tomatoes fresh, and to date canned 6 quarts of salsa and 9 pints of soup. Its been a pretty good year so far.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well my tomatoes are doing pretty good considering our cool summers.

Early girls - Been harvesting those for about a month.

Sungolds - same thing

Black krim - Been eating those for about a month now. Did much better this year since it's in the ground and not in a pot.

Thessalonka - It's ok. Not sure if I will plant this one next year. Plants are kind of crowded and I really need to eliminate one.

Japanese Black Triefle - Lots of tomatoes on the plant. Starting to ripen. I think I'm going to love this one!

Stiltz - Not as many on the plant. Doing ok. Not sure if I will plant it again. There are so many others to try.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
a cherry from Ferre Morse quite large for a cherry, Yellow pear, bi-color cherry, Cherokee Purple, finally ripening... waiting for green zebra, brandywine, Roma, nineveh & carbon all heirloom

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Jared77 said:
20lbs and counting between Big Boys, Lemon Boys, Early Girls, Green Zebras, Romas and more cherry tomatoes than I can count.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/7129_sam_1712.jpg

Have already eaten plenty of tomatoes fresh, and to date canned 6 quarts of salsa and 9 pints of soup. Its been a pretty good year so far.
Jared how do you tell when the Green Zebras are ripe??? my first year with them...

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
So far my tomato harvest equals one Juliet, which really could have stood a few more days on the vine, but it was not green so I ate it.
Now I only have to get two more ripe ones and I'll beat last summers harvest of ripe tomatoes :rolleyes:

I have Bloody Butcher, loaded with green; Juliet, starting to turn and also loaded; Jap. BlackTrifele, maybe a handful of tiny green fruits;
Federle, I think it's the one with some kind of deformity going on, a lot of the toms look like curled horns or peppers (my labeling needs a little work ); Dr Wychees Yellow, loaded with green fruits; Jubilee and Cherokee Purple are not labeled so I'll have to see which is which a little later.
I have about 24 plants all told.

Six months is a long time to wait for a homegrown ripe tomato....sigh....

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thistle
I agree that's why I can and freeze as many as I can...it tastes wonderful in Feb when there is 3 ft of snow on the ground then I top it off with frozen Strawberries that I froze in July for dessert...so very gratifying...

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd love to can and freeze,
but the weather lately has not been a tomatoes dream, so getting some to ripen before a hard freeze is dicey. :/

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hmmmph! I am not very impressed with my tomato growing skills so far this year! :/ I harvest about 1 or 2 small tomatoes a day from 12 plants. Even my 3 cherry tomato plants are hardly doing anything - maybe 4 tiny tomatoes a week. There seem to be quite a few tomatoes set, so maybe I just need to be more patient, but this is getting rediculous. I am growing Marglobe, Arkansas Traveler, Thessaloniki, and Big Beef. Flavor is excellent in all 4 varieties and they are all performing about the same. I'm really not sure what's going on. . . .

Latest posts