How late can I move my perennials?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
What perennials are you talking about? You might get different answers for different perennials. Some will be best moved when dormant. Some might benefit by being moved early enough to establish roots, like iris.

There can also be a difference in when is the best time versus a time that may not be as great but still should work. A lot of times I find the best time for me to do something like this is when I can, not when I should. I would have liked to move a forsythia sprout this spring right after it finished blooming but I've been gone so much this summer, some planned some not, that I would have had real problems keeping it watered. I'll wait until winter is truly here to set it out.

I got the forsythia start by bending a limb over, putting dirt on it, then placing a paving stone over it to hold it down. I tried to water it as best I could and it set roots.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I pretty much want to move everything! But it's mainly phlox, echinacea, black eyed susans, and shasta daisies. You're probably right about doing it when I can, as opposed to "should." :) That's a good rule of thumb. I was thinking that moving them as late as possible will save me some watering & worrying.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Which Black-eyed Susan's are you talking about, the plant of the vine? There are two different kinds. I don't have the vines but here the black eyed susans are annuals. They self-seed and come back like a weed. My problem with them is that I have to thin them out to keep them from taking over. From what I read they are perennials some places. Not here though. They always die over the winter.

If you have the plants just save seeds and scatter them where you want them to grow. The seeds need sunlight to germinate so don't bury them.

I can't help you with the other stuff. Sorry.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Late fall end of season clearance sale,i go nuts. I am also zone 6, I found I can plant perennials any time soil not frozen. most make thought winter fine, trees are another story. Can lose them over winter, but not sure if it is because planted late or bad care during summer waiting to be sold. I would say till middle of Nov at least

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
You should be able to transplant most of your perennials safely this time of year as long as you provide adequate water. Peonies are prime for moving in September. Some catalogs offer them for planting only at this time of year. At this time of year, even plants that are not completely dormant will probably not regrow until spring.

The major thing to remember with fall moving is the need to mulch well to prevent winter heaving. The later you transplant the more important is a winter mulch.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can move perennials any time you want, it's just a matter of how much after care you're up for, as others pointed out. The great thing about moving stuff around in the fall is that even though the tops most likely won't get new growth the roots will grow until the soil freezes, and without a lot of top growth to support that gives them a head start on the next spring.

Are you in Georgia now Kate, or am I confusing you with another member?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just my OWN experience about mums--don't move them or plant any in the Fall. Move them in the Spring only. They REALLY need good roots to survive our winters. :D
If you do want to grow mums as perennials, get the plants as soon as possible when they hit the stores and plant right away. The main reason for mum failure is that they are used for decoration and then stuck into the ground far too late in the fall for the roots to develop properly before winter. The later they are planted the more mulch is needed.

I agree, whether starting new plants or moving old ones, mums do best moved in the spring.

Latest posts