How Long Does It Take To Write New Year ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
After a whole year of writing that year I always have a problem the 1st month of New year. I mailed out some checks yesterday, looking at my check book they where all dated Jan 2 2017. It takes me a few weeks to start using new year without thinking about it. How about you

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bet it's okay with the bank if you have no year written on the check.

NyBoy, I think that it's possible that I have stopped writing "19..." By next year, I hope that there is zero chance of me writing "1919."

I write so few checks, it's almost a special event for me to do so.

I have a friend in his 70's who seems about as sharp as ever. He's very active and helpful for his friends and extended family. He uses several banks. I know that he writes some checks and have seen some and several examples of his notetaking -- he's very careful, very thorough and clear.

He enjoys showing people that he carries absolutely no cash. Since he has a disabled person permit, I don't think he even has a quarter for a parking meter!

There are lots of ways to separate someone from his or her $

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
After a whole year of writing that year I always have a problem the 1st month of New year. I mailed out some checks yesterday, looking at my check book they where all dated Jan 2 2017. It takes me a few weeks to start using new year without thinking about it. How about you
Like Steve, I write very few checks anymore. When I sent in my estimated income tax money with a request for an extension, I numbly copied 2016 from the papers to the check. Of course a year ago I couldn't have had the 2016 paperwork to send in either.

Note to self: the IRS does not cash year old checks whether they are really a year old or mistakes made by an old lady with focus problems. They send back the check and deny the extension. Sigh.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Could put this in Generations ...

When someone says "nineteenth century," does your mind convert it to numbers, like "1800's?" Try it with seventeenth century ... do you think 1600's ..?

Maybe everyone does that little calculation but how about this: I'm seeing young people write "1900's." My mind goes, "oh, 1900 to 1910." Bzzzz Wrong! That's not what young people mean.

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't write many checks any more either, but I do have to sign & date a lot of work orders at my job. The funny thing is, I usually get the new year right for the first few days, when I am focused on doing so. After awhile, though, I'll take it for granted - at which time I'll catch myself using the old year. :he It is hard to "unlearn" something that has become habit, until it has been replaced by a new habit. Usually I've got it down pat by February or so.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Even though my drivers will hand me paperwork without a signature, no date, wrong date, wrong truck/trailer number, sometimes even wrong place of delivery (Darlin' you're supposed to be about 3hrs north of here..) I do not DARE put the wrong date on anything, ever, or I will hear about it for DAYS.
That's one of the few things that I make SURE I get right every time.
(Or at least, correct before they see it ;) )

Latest posts