How Long Does Vinca/ Myrtle Grow ?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
If we're talking about the same plant, mine grows 3' wide on the ground. Years ago I planted a 6-pack and then decided to remove it. Years later it still keeps coming back so I left it and now I love it. Go figure. I have the variegated one and haven't seen it at nurseries for a couple years now. So glad I have it. :)

Mary

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
The variegated one is treated as a annual here. Fast grower great for window boxes and hanging planters
You must be ZONE 4 bc my vinca major/vinca minor ( the kind that will work as a ground cover )
https://www.greenwoodnursery.com/ca...or-sale/vinca-major-fast-growing-ground-cover
continues to spread in full shade, even to mostly sun and I didn't start it. I have vinca minor.
It is older than 16 years on my property. I love it! Purple flowers for weeks and weeks and it helps to smother weeds. EASY PEASY to dig up and move someplace else.
I bought an 18 pack of annual vinca thinking it would spread on DD's shady back yard. DIDN'T READ THE LABEL!!! So, of COURSE it didn't survive our winter.
This year I saw the vinca that I have and grabbed 6 pots of it for my DD's. Their forested town has all of these trees that drop masses of leaves. In their back yard it is also shaded from the south by a garage, so it is truly dark. The 6 ferns I planted by their neighbors fence have grown back nicely, but move the leaves and there is just dirt. We will be planting them soon. They also have volunteer wild strawberries and I said leave them bc they also make a nice ground cover.

Last edited:

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am kicking myself Mothers Day weekend I was at a nursery that is a pain to get to. They had flats of vinca with the biggest blue flowers, and I didn't buy it. I ended up with flat from hoe depot have no idea of flower size.