How Many Meals Do You Have Potatoes ?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Generally sweet potatoes once a week, I cook them in the oven on Thursday while I'm cooking the chicken. We normally have rice Tuesday and Friday when we have fish. On Saturday we have vegetable soup that I make from what I grow and can with the leftover chicken. The soup has some potatoes in it but not that much. On Sundays we normally eat out after our volunteer Sunday afternoon so whether or not we eat potatoes depends one what we order. So Mondays and Wednesdays we typically have regular potatoes.

I know, we are in a rut but when you get old that can be comforting.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
We eat meat and potatoes at least 5 to 7 days a week often with no vegetables . Sometimes we eat meat with rice, but with the rice I am hungry a half hour later.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe 5 pounds a month. Sometimes not. But when I grow my own-we eat a LOT. I have had nothing but potato failure since moving. :hit

I bought one potato at the store a few days ago. Found a potato/sweet potato hash brown recipe I want to try.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe 5 pounds a month. Sometimes not. But when I grow my own-we eat a LOT. I have had nothing but potato failure since moving. :hit

I bought one potato at the store a few days ago. Found a potato/sweet potato hash brown recipe I want to try.

When do you plant your potatoes Bay? They are a cool weather crop, there is a reason Maine and Idaho are famous for potatoes.. Steve just mentioned something about temperature problems and them setting potatoes, I think it was overnight temps. I normally plant mine at the end of February or early March or else it is getting late. Where you are you may need to go even earlier.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
In Livingston I planted mid February, here first of March. The soil has been so poor that I got all tops and no potatoes or small potatoes. I haven't really knuckled down and worked hard at them, i'll be getting more serious on it.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When the kids were young we had sit down dinners 7 days a week when home so we went through a LOT of spuds, occasionally we had something like spaghetti or macaroni but most meals included either mashed or baked potatoes. I think back then I probably went through 10-15 Lbs. a week. No-one was fat not even me, in fact the kids were on the thin side being as active as they were. there was none of the stuff that is available today, we had TV but their viewing was limited to an hour or so after supper if they chose to stay indoors, maybe a bit more in the winter.
Now, it's just hubby and I, if I'm making a meal with potatoes I cook one for the two of us plus two or three more veggies, quite often there's potato left over.
Never had yams (sweet potatoes) while growing up, the same with broccoli they just weren't around, now yams and broccoli we have quite often. I think the only vegetables I don't cook are parsnips and eggplant, not particularly fond of either.

Annette

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule - one potato! That's funny!

I make my husband homemade hash browns and eggs 4 or 5x a week for breakfast. He has a pretty physical job and needs something that will stay with him until lunch, which is a half sandwich , fruit and a cookie.

We have potato soup every few weeks also, and I make roasted potato wedges a couple of nights a week. So probably 5#/week.

I have had a series of bad harvests these past years, deer, gophers, and scab have been the culprits. I really miss my homegrown spuds.

The real spud growing region in Idaho is the south and east. The soil down there is more volcanic, and that's what I was told is responsible for the successful production.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yep, so much depends on the soil they're grown in. Once and only once have I had potatoes from Prince Edward Island, OMG were they delicious, I raced back to the supermarket to buy a couple more bags to store but alas they were all gone, too many others got there before me, one taste of those, pure bliss for your taste buds.

Idaho potatoes are the next best for me. Potatoes grown here are just so so, it depends on the variety, home grown I have to say are better then store bought, especially the new ones, I used to grow red Pontiacs, they were pretty tasty.

Annette

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Zucchini ... oh, we weren't talking about what we don't care about. Brussels sprouts. I can eat any vegetable and will; it's just that I'd as soon turnip my nose to some of them ...

;) Potatoes. Everybody likes potatoes ... don't they!? I just learned that a spud is sometimes called a Murphy in the UK. I don't know what the Irish think of that.

We should eat more. I forget what I guessed as the potato harvest this year. They were in a new location and probably over the 100# that I usually hope for. Still, that is only about 20# a month for the two of us. DD likes our mashed potatoes but she isn't over often, these days. Throw in another 20# of celery root. Milk, butter, margarine, Greek yogurt, sour cream, cream cheese are possibilities.

DW likes cheese and I have to get ahead of her or she will always have cheddar in our baked potatoes. She also likes bacon so twice baked is a possibility. Shoot. Just a big spoonful of sour cream and a twist of black pepper is sufficient.

She does great on hash browns. Of course, that was after I taught her to rinse the grated spud before frying. "Cottage fries" were real common in my family. I think it was because my parents grew up during the Depression. Mom used to say, "take an old cold tater and wait," when we complained about being hungry. Anyway, boiled potatoes were usually available in the fridge and handy to be sliced and fried for cottage fries.

Dad said that he remembers when they only had potatoes and gravy to eat in his family. Actually, I think that was after he and some of his brothers arrived in California. Gravy took me quite awhile to master. I still have to be very attentive and have the right tools when I'm making the roux. I am seldom willing to start with butter if I have a panful of roast drippings for gravy. Even a cup of skimmed chicken broth makes good gravy and really doesn't need the fat. My Maggi sauce comes in handy if it looks too "lean."

:) Steve

Latest posts