how many seeds does an onion flower get?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the common onion.

i'm guessing three to six based upon memory, but i've never really counted.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
the common onion.

i'm guessing three to six based upon memory, but i've never really counted.
I would thinks an uncountable number. Each flower contains multiple tiny seeds and each plant has a globe like flower with many florets. Most common onions are hybrids and you may be disappointed in the onions they produce.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would thinks an uncountable number. Each flower contains multiple tiny seeds and each plant has a globe like flower with many florets. Most common onions are hybrids and you may be disappointed in the onions they produce.

i'm speaking of the individual flower not the entire umbel/head.

i've harvested seeds for a number of years and never actually just sat and looked at one seed pod but i do recall it being divided in thirds.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Edit: Oh! I sat with this tab open too long and didn't see the explanation ;)!

I'm not sure. Not really sure of your question, either ...

You aren't talking about Walking Onions and the scapes - is that what we call them, same as garlic?

Onion umbels? Okay. The individual flower within the inflorescence?

Here's a good picture (#2) of the mature onion flower. There may be a hundred seeds on the end of that stalk.

https://m.wikihow.com/Save-Onion-Seeds

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it will be interesting to see if these flowers end up being more like chives or regular onions.

i have no regular onions blooming here this year. i always try to leave a few here or there to bloom the following year but for some reason i actually managed to clear them out of the gardens (i ate them :) ) last year. the place i normally grow some red onions i didn't scatter any seeds.

with the rains we've been having maybe i should get some seeds out there. i have been clearing a pretty large area and need something in there to make the upkeep efforts worth it and the deer will mostly leave them alone (other than trampling them).