How Much Is A Flat Of Annuals By You ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have to be real careful with money. Almost 2 months of kennel cough left checking account very low. Every spring I would plant up kennel with annual flowers,it was a business expense so never really worried about money. last night I had to pay almost $24 for a flat of impatients and there was only 18 plants to a flat :barnie:barnie I don't remember flats being this much ( home depot) and didn't they have more plants.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Back in the day I used to buy by the flat, these flats were full of six packs, can't remember how many off hand but the flat used to cost $20. You don't get these kind of deals any more.
To be fair their costs to produce are such as they have to make their money any way they can, but I balk at annuals that are potted up a size just so they can charge more for a single plant.
Can't remember if you have a light stand, if not invest in one and grow from seed. But then again not that many seeds in a pkt., another reason to save your own seed.

Annette

pjn

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The nursery I go to has flats for 13.50 for either the 36 or 48 of the small bedding plants. The larger ones run from 20.50 to 47.50.
I usually buy the cell pack ones.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The flats of 4" pots are about 3.99 apiece and a flat holds 18 of those so it's $72 here. You got a deal.
I just spent over $500 for a truck bed full (lobelia, bacopa, alyssum, salvia farinacea, something else I can't remember, to plant a clients bed. In the fall they will all get pulled.
Kills me.

Last edited:

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
The flats of 4" pots are about 3.99 apiece and a flat holds 18 of those so it's $72 here. You got a deal.
I just spent over $500 for a truck bed full (lobelia, bacopa, alyssum, salvia foeniculum, something else I can't remember, to plant a clients bed. In the fall they will all get pulled.
Kills me.
I guess with your winters heated greenhouse would not be cost effective.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here it varies WILDLY depending on the plant and where you get it.
I was out 'nursery hopping' with a friend a few weeks ago and marigolds ranged from $6/4-pack to $2.50/6pack.
The big, popular nursery charged much more than the local hardware store that happens to also have plants and mulch out back.

Latest posts